Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

Page 3 of 6
Fine... Is this also true for circa 1986?

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

And in 1986, just how big was Wal Mart? Are you saying that in 1986 they were moving into areas and decimating the local businesses?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Nope... I am saying that in circa 1986, WalMart moved into Bixby and small businesses left... WalMart soon followed...
This is not an anti WalMart campaign on my part. Frankly I could darn near have my entire check auto-deposited into Sam's bank account instead of mine and we could nearly call it even.
Mike Alexander PP-ASEL Temecula, CA See my online aerial photo album at http://flying.4alexanders.com

You might want to familiarize yourself with the difference between correlation and causation. A similar statement to the one you make above would be "Sleeping with one's shoes on is strongly correlated with waking up with a headache. Therefore, sleeping with one's shoes on causes headache." (credit to Wikipedia).
todd
Post hoc, ergo proptor hoc
First order fallacy

I assume this is directed at Mike's response.
todd

Shhhhh, don't confuse them with the facts.

What was the address of that Wal Mart store? Simple street name is good enough.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
The best I can recall it was at S Memorial Drive and 151st...
wrote:

Mike Alexander PP-ASEL Temecula, CA See my online aerial photo album at http://flying.4alexanders.com

Thanks Mike. I guessed that it might have been the Memorial Drive store. That store appears to have just recently undergone a re-birth, having been on Memorial Drive since 1990. That would make your assertion at least somewhat true in that it appears the Memorial Drive store was relocated from a near by location in 1990. That's a lot different from the original assertion that Wal Mart came in, businesses left (still unproven as even being associated with Wal Mart entering), and then Wal Mart left. It appears they did not leave at all but simply relocated near by in 1990. That would be growth, not leaving.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Thanks - that makes your comment from the previous post easier to understand - lends context.

I'd sure have to understand more about this decision to close a brand new Wal Mart. This is an anomoly in the world of Wal Mart. There certainly had to be factors surrounding the decision to close this particular store that you left out, either because you're not aware of them or you are trying to skew a point by limiting the "facts" to an abreviated list of occurances.

Never said that your claim was false. What I said was that the ever-present "drove all of the mom-n-pops out of business" was a false claim. In fact, every place that a Wal Mart or a Home Depot exist, small business exists too which compete at some level with the Wal Mart or the Home Depot. I've posted here before that Ace Hardware tells their franchise owners who are worried about a new Wal Mart coming into their area that the best thing that could happen for their business is that Wal Mart would open right across the street from them.

As in the case of many locations, some small businesses do fold when a big store moves in. They typically don't have the ability to compete with anyone, let alone Wal Mart, because they only existed based on a stranglehold they had on the area prior to Wal Mart coming along. It is common to find these types of enterprises crying that Wal Mart is going to run them out of business, and then close immediately upon the opening of Wal Mart. In fact, Wal Mart did not run them out of business, but was a convenient excuse and even more conveniently, Wal Mart provided them with a nice David and Goliath story.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

There is a Super Walmart in Beatrice, Nebraska population 12,000. Also a Tractor Supply and a few few other chain stores.
My friend and I were visiting town a few years back and needed some plumbing parts for my RV. We drove all over town looking for a hardware store. We finally stopped at a small CO-OP for directions and were told that both hardware stores had gone out of business since Walmart opened.
There may have been other reasons besides Walmart that both hardware stores failed, but it seems awful coincidental.
We ended up buying some fuel hose and clamps from Autozone for a temporary fix.
Brian Elfert

Think about what any respectable hardware stores inventory/ product are Vs what is available in a typical Walmart hardware section.....I don't think they really compete. Now grocery store selection is another story but for the last hundred years bigger stores have driven out smaller stores many times over....Safeway, A&P etc.....nothing unique about Walmart competition on that front. Department stores also have a long history of bigger stores driving out smaller stores, Wards, Sears etc. all built empires (some temporary) by bringing more products cheaper to the market place.......The typical rant against Walmarts "unfair" competition reeks of hypocrocy.....speaking of why does Target get a walk? Rod

I never said the reason both hardware stores closed was because of Walmart. It does seems more than a coincidence they both closed after Walmart opened up.
The locals said the hardware stores couldn't compete on the stuff Walmart does sell like paint, power equipment, and general hardware. The specialized stuff Walmart didn't have wasn't enough to keep them going.
Target is different because they didn't start out targeting small towns in rural areas like Walmart. Target has generally treated workers better including good health coverage for part timers until 12 to 18 months ago.
Brian Elfert

It is not at unusual for Walmart to close an existing Walmart store and open a brand new Supercenter a few miles away. In some cases, they can't get approval to renovate an existing store into a Supercenter so they just close it and build new elsewhere.
I personally know two locations where Walmart built a new Supercenter within one block of an old store.
I read somewhere that Walmart has around 30 million square feet of empty buildings they are trying to market. I'm sure the majority are old stores replaced by new Supercenters. I've personally never heard or read of any Walmart that closed without being replaced except a store in Canada that formed a union.
I don't see a big market for closed Walmarts since not too many stores are looking for a 75,000 square foot building.
Brian Elfert
writes:

Correct. That's the point I was trying to steer the other poster to. Growth is one thing but to posture so as to make that growth look like abandonment is something entirely different. At one time Wal Mart's store model was that of a discount store. Today it is that of a Super Center - because the supercenter model has been hugely successful. This is a natural evolution of a successful venture and far from the abandonment that the other poster implied.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
In Big Flats, NY, Walmart has a store, and a Sam's Club... Now they're opening up a supercenter less than a mile away. Whats the logic of that, other than to saturate the area and drive everyone else out?
This is in an area with a lot of malls already... looks like they want a fight
shelly

Has Wal Mart announced that they are replacing the existing store with the Supercenter? That has become fairly commonplace for WalMart, as the popularity of their Supercenters has proven itself. What would it really matter if Wal Mart or any other store opened new stores 100 feet from each other? If people are going to them, it is proof of consumer acceptance of those stores. Remember - Wal Mart cannot force consumers to come into their stores...

How does that look like "they want a fight"?

When Target announced they were contemplating building across the highway from a Wal-Mart up north, we were somewhat amazed, yet they said that "facing the competition" was something they liked to do. First year the lot was generally uncrowded, but it looks like the numbers are picking up. Nicer store, too. Aisles allow two carts to pass in opposite directions rather than being crowded and plagued with end caps.

It's very common for competitors to locate near each other. Look at McDonalds and Burger King. Look at any shopping mall. Even though malls are a more regulated environment, you still find competitors within the same shopping experience. That's because it's advantageous to be where the people are - regardless of what drew them there. It's not about Target wanting to "face the competition" (regardless of what they say), it's about locating where the shoppers are. Wal Mart draws them to one piece of highway, others locate there.