Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

Page 1 of 6
as Bugs would say. FWW had a review of spindle sanders in their Tools & Shops issue. The $200.00 RIDGID took Best Overall *and* Best Value. It just so happens that I'm interested in making some bandsaw boxes, and I've had my eye on the RIDGID one for a long time, so I had to run out to Home Depot and buy one. :-)
So I ask the guy where the sanding spindles are, because I want to get some extras. He says, "We don't carry any spindles except we have this one pack" -- and he drags out an old shopworn plastic bag of sanding spindles for the Ryobi, which they also sell. So I ask him if they will be getting some in, and he says, "No, we don't carry them at all."
I'm thinking why on earth would somebody sell a sander with a lifetime guarantee and not sell the sanding spindles for it?
None were to be found on the HD web site when I searched for "sanding spindles" or "sanding sleeves." Klingspors has a wide variety, of course.
Just another chapter in the story of the long, slow slide of HD into irrelevance.
[snip]

The HD here doesn't even carry 6" hook 'n loop sandpaper for their own RIDGID ROS. They also tried to sell me an extended warranty for a tool with life-time warranty...no joke.
Slipping fast.
There you go. Just what you need, a sander in the after life. : )

How about they are "morons" not the color maroon :-) Argon wrote:

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:24:00 -0800, MUSTANGS7981 wrote:

How about you take that up with Warner Brothers. Or are you unfamiliar with the cartoon character "Bugs Bunny", one of whose catchphrases is "what a maroon"? Note--not "what a moron", he clearly and distinctly pronounces the long-double-oh sound.

Right from the wabbit's mouth:
http://www.earthstation1.com/WBCartoonFiles/WB_Wavs/maroon.wav
B.
Too young to watch Bugs Bunny on Satuday mornings, eh?
todd

snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

Bugs Bunny used to say "What a maroon!"
On 4 Dec 2006 20:24:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
Maroon is a polite way of saying MORON.
Stinky

No, it's not. It's a contraction of "cimaroon", which in turn is an Anglized version of "cimarrones", which is a Spanish term for escaped slaves.
It's not really a politically correct term any more, but the censors seem to be too busy cutting out all the occurances of Yosemite Sam blowing himself up to worry about Bugs's language.
John

But is Argon that clever?
Not a Bugs Bunny fan, I take it.

Argon wrote:

As Homer would say: "I dunno....Innernet?"
I think it's one of those things where they want to cover the bases by having one for sale, but they figure too few of them will sell to justify carrying spindles. They don't carry many of the machines in stock either.
I'm interested in one of those sanders too. Perhaps we should both email Home Depot and Ridgid.
Mike
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:31:52 -0700, Argon wrote:

I don't know why everybody complains about this--the Ryobi spindles work fine, they're about as cheap as spindles get (try to find another set for less), and they're in standard sizes--there's nothing magic about the Ridgid that makes it require a special spindle.

Would you be this upset if those spindles came in a package that said "Norton" or "3M" on it instead of "Ryobi"?

You won't find them on the Ridgid web site either.

I'm sorry, while I loathe Home Depot this seems to me to be complaining for the sake of complaining. If you think Ridgid should go into the sandpaper business you really should take the matter up with them.
Main thing Klingspor gets you over Ryobi is choice of grits.
Argon wrote:

Are you talking about the RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander, Model EB4424? It uses (according to the Home Depot web site) a 4 x 24" belt, of the type used on hand-held belt sanders. Should be available just about anywhere (except Home Depot of course!)
--Steve
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:46:25 -0800, Steve wrote:

It uses a belt with the belt adapter but it also uses standard 4-1/2" spindles in various diameters. Sears (across the street from HD here) has belts in stock that will fit (so does HD for that matter) but I got a bargain box from Klingspor which gives me more belts than I'm probably ever going to use.

Well, that certainly helps explain why their stock price hasn't moved for the last 4+ years. :-(
Buy high, sell low, that's *my* investment strategy. Well, maybe not strategy so much as reality.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

hiring out of Future Shop and Best Buy.... what does that tell you? Soon they'll be luring away Burger King employees. You can only fool people for so long... (no sirreee..not a statement about politics.. no no no.) Yup, they move into town, kill off the blood and guts that went into the brick & mortar family owned stores... and move on.

This strategy was perfected by WalMart 20 years ago when they decimated rural communities and then abandoned them.

"Chris Dubea" wrote in message

I just spent the better part of a week in a small AR town whose entire cultural center revolved around a Wal-Mart SuperCenter and an Atwoods (farm & ranch version of Harbor Freight).
Further proof of the BORG insidious assimilation being ingrained and complete: even for this country boy, around the third day and the sixth visit to each, I found myself looking forward to going again ...
Sad ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06