Home Depot shopping tip

I'm not dissing the place, but the rule of thumb is - if an item won't turn over on the shelves in a few weeks, don't look for it there. Don't go there for fan belts, for example. Another more complicated example is - shure, they have double entry doors and will be happy to install them for you. But if you replace the lock hardware and have a thumblatch on the outside of the door, you'll have to buy two expensive thumblatches and turn one into a dummy, because having the inactive door set on the shelves is not profitable. What they suggested to me is having the thumblatch on one door and a dummy knob on the other. Right.

Reply to
Nickie Name

Hi Nikkie,

I was over at the local HD today and proceeded "shopping" with my usual "learned" disdain. Just wanted some shims and a little glue.

As I walked around, I did notice that they are sort of trying to cater to the audience - e.g., the tool area was much better oraganized. All the nail guns were in the aisle where they sell the nails (now that's a novel idea!). In general, things were better organized IMHO.

Bought 2 - 3 inch spring clamps.

Don't get me wrong - they have a lot of power-tool crap (Ryobi and the like), but if you are the weekend warrior type, you might actually like the place.

I'm hot and cold on HD & Lowes, but I'm probably there once a week or so.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Unlike our local Lowe's. You'll find nailers and biscuit jointers right close to each other in the center of the tool isles. Biscuits are four rows away, nails are four rows the opposite way. Guess the theory is that if you have to hunt for them, you are more likely to see something else you need.

Reply to
CW

I bet your local locksmith can get you a good setup. Better quality.

Most of us have found that HD is the last place to look for something. Millions of products, but not what you need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The nail guns at the local HDs have been in the nail aisle for ages. Maybe even since HD opened in Minnesota in the late 90s.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Let's face it. HD is for people who have little idea of how to do it themselves and occasionally for the knowledgeable or experienced person who goes there simply because it's convenient at the time.

Reply to
Upscale

Actually, HD and others do a lot of "cross-merchandising" - putting the same item in several different locations in the store.

For instance, you might find nails alongside hammers AND in the fastener aisle. Caulk might be displayed alongside siding AND in the paint aisle.

It makes good sense.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

In at least one case, it can be deceiving. In my BORG paint section, they have drywall tape that is the same price, but much lesser length than the tape found in the drywall section.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

"Upscale" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Hello all;

Around here, HD is the only place to shop anymore for any kind of wood or DIY type of material. We used to have independent lumberyards and hardwares, but since HD came to town, the indies had to close up. They couldn't compete with the Walmart of the lumber world.

To go to a real lumberyard, I now have to drive about 100 miles round trip. With the price of gas these days, it doesn't pay if all I need is the same type of lumber that the borgs have.

Make more sawdust,

Woodworkerdan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

Reply to
Dan

Unfortunate byproduct of large scale competition. Being in a large city (Toronto, Ontario), there's still a number of businesses here that supply the professional. However, I do concede they're getting harder to find and they're now more likely to be on the outskirts of the city. Certainly not even close to 100 miles away, but with the gridlock and density of the city, probably close to the same time period required to get your supplies. You can't win for losing.

Reply to
Upscale

It is really sad how HD has no competition in my area, even from Lowes. Lowes appears to prefer the far-out, less desirable locations where rent is cheaper. So, if need a paint brush or a drill bit, I am not going to drive the extra 15 minutes to Lowes.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

We send a lot of our tool money to Asia. I hope they start buying finished products from us pretty soon.

Bill

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Reply to
Bill

True. I just don't know where the people come from. I recall even 30 years ago, we had a hardware store and a lumber yard, both were closed on Sundays. We all survived happily. Now you can go to a HD, Lowes, or both and there are hundreds of people hauling off thousands of dollars in home goods. This is in the same neighborhoods that were happy with the hardware store that was closed on Sunday. Of course back then we usually visited relatives or took a ride someplace rather than build sheds or replace bathrooms.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My shopping tip is if you do not like crowds, go early.

I went to one of four Home Depots in my area. All within a 25 mile radius. Boy was it crowded. Seen a power tool I wanted and the box was not dented or ripped like the rest. So I waited till the next morning and it was still there. And since I opened a Home Depot charge account I got 10% off my first purchase (no matter what amount) and 12 month no interest.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Davis Jr

The Home Depot at Ellesmere and Warden was open 24 hours a day up here in Canada for a couple of years. Not anymore, but it still has a really long open hours for business.

Reply to
Upscale

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:XLIpe.4993$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

And I am *so* glad stores are open Sundays now.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy