Home Depot Shop Lights

Hey Guys:

Don't know if anyone is outfitting their garage or shop with lights or not, but here's a little something worth passing along.

I needed to replace 4 of my 0 degree shop lights yesterday and took a look at what Home Depot had. Of course, they had shop lights that were packaged as 0 degree start and they were around $25 or $28 or so. Then I took a look at their bargain shop lights - at the urging of the electrical department associate. We opened one up and looked at the ballast and it was rated at 0 degree Celsius (14 degree F). Price - $ 8.53.

So, I bought 4 of them and figured that even if these were units with ballasts which did not meet spec, I could bring them back and spend the extra money. If not, I'd be money ahead. Well - they work just fine up here in the greater Syracuse NY winter temperature. It's not hovering around zero, but it's cold enough that my fluorescents which are not cold start ballasts, struggle to fire up. So - it appears that these are a great bargain for a cold start unit, as long as you don't need the -20 degree fixtures.

Watch out though because they have a couple of economy units on the shelves. The one you want is SKU 732-334. The other units are not cold starts.

Hope this helps...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Better yet replace those magnetic T12 ballasts (not that bad, actually, for magnetics) with e.g. GE Ultramax T8 ones and use good F32T8 bulbs. It will cost $5-8 per fixture depending on how cheap one was able to get those ballasts off of Ebay and 20 minutes of time. Result is well worth it...

I recently put 18 such fixtures with Ultramax ballasts in my garage. Works like a charm and SLi Lighting F32T8 Excella bulbs with their 91 CRI and

5765K are very very good, it's really like a sunny day...
sells those for $96.92 per box of 30, highly recommended.
Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

Reply to
Howard

It sure helps me. I'm north and west of you in Ottawa but I think our temps in winter are comparable. So far it hasn't been testicle-losing weather, but that will come. Even so, my fluorescents are cranky on a cold start. I'll check out HD.ca and see if the same deal is available here.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tanus

Depends where you live. You're using the summer conversion. After the equinox, the axis of the Celsium changes so the winter conversion is 14F, unless you are in a daylight savings zone in a leap year.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's what I was thinking! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Not sure if the conversion error is yours or theirs, but 0 C = 32 F, and 14 F = -10 C.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I read all these posts with interest. It makes me appreciate that my shop is in shirt sleeve weather most of the time. I will go out today and work and the temperature will be 20 degrees C. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

You suck!

It's 3C where I am.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

My shop is in shirt sleeve weather *all* the time... in a heated, air conditioned basement.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's too warm. The temperature range between 32 and 45 degrees F (or around 0-10C???) is too cold to do anything summery, and too warm to do anything wintery. If it's going to be this cool, I want it cold.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I know the feeling.

At this temperature (3C), there's no snow or skateable outdoor ice, but the ground is too soft and muddy to mountain bike, and it's really cold to road ride (wind chill).

It's also just cold enough to have to go through the BS of preheating the airplane, only to not be able to fly into low hanging, icy clouds.

It's purgatory!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You're ahead of me... I forgot about leap years..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Just checked my shop 10am..

13c outside 21 inside That's with no heat and 2 windows open a little to let smoke out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

What smoke?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

It also depends if you are facing north or south in the daytime or evening.

Reply to
Ralph

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Been a while since you got your TS blade sharpened? It sure helps to not BURN your way through the wood!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

This applies, however, only if you properly input the correct moon phase.

Reply to
Say What?

Correct - my mistake. The ballast read -10C, which is 14F.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Replacing ballast is much more expensive than replacing fixtures. The HD fixtures I posted about are electronic ballast and to correct my original post, are good to -10C (14F). By the time you pay shipping those $5-$8 ballasts won't be $5-$8.

Reply to
Mike Marlow