Home Depot Shop Lights

Page 1 of 2
Hey Guys:
Don't know if anyone is outfitting their garage or shop with lights or not, but here's a little something worth passing along.
I needed to replace 4 of my 0 degree shop lights yesterday and took a look at what Home Depot had. Of course, they had shop lights that were packaged as 0 degree start and they were around $25 or $28 or so. Then I took a look at their bargain shop lights - at the urging of the electrical department associate. We opened one up and looked at the ballast and it was rated at 0 degree Celsius (14 degree F). Price - $ 8.53.
So, I bought 4 of them and figured that even if these were units with ballasts which did not meet spec, I could bring them back and spend the extra money. If not, I'd be money ahead. Well - they work just fine up here in the greater Syracuse NY winter temperature. It's not hovering around zero, but it's cold enough that my fluorescents which are not cold start ballasts, struggle to fire up. So - it appears that these are a great bargain for a cold start unit, as long as you don't need the -20 degree fixtures.
Watch out though because they have a couple of economy units on the shelves. The one you want is SKU 732-334. The other units are not cold starts.
Hope this helps...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Depends where you live. You're using the summer conversion. After the equinox, the axis of the Celsium changes so the winter conversion is 14F, unless you are in a daylight savings zone in a leap year.

That's what I was thinking! ;~)

You're ahead of me... I forgot about leap years..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

It also depends if you are facing north or south in the daytime or evening.

I read all these posts with interest. It makes me appreciate that my shop is in shirt sleeve weather most of the time. I will go out today and work and the temperature will be 20 degrees C. :-)
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:14:13 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"

You suck!
It's 3C where I am.

That's too warm. The temperature range between 32 and 45 degrees F (or around 0-10C???) is too cold to do anything summery, and too warm to do anything wintery. If it's going to be this cool, I want it cold.
Puckdropper
marching band.

I know the feeling.
At this temperature (3C), there's no snow or skateable outdoor ice, but the ground is too soft and muddy to mountain bike, and it's really cold to road ride (wind chill).
It's also just cold enough to have to go through the BS of preheating the airplane, only to not be able to fly into low hanging, icy clouds.
It's purgatory!
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:23:56 -0500, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

Just checked my shop 10am.. 13c outside 21 inside That's with no heat and 2 windows open a little to let smoke out..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

What smoke?

Been a while since you got your TS blade sharpened? It sure helps to not BURN your way through the wood!
Puckdropper

My shop is in shirt sleeve weather *all* the time... in a heated, air conditioned basement.
Tosses lit bag of dog poo outside Doug's door, before heading into the cold garage/workshop. lol
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
Lowell Holmes wrote:

There's a name for people like you but this is a family group... ;^)
Lowell Holmes wrote:

But what's the humidity?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

This applies, however, only if you properly input the correct moon phase.

What about those of us in the southern hempisphere?

Just read the numbers upside down.