Home Depot receipts

Canada. A few days ago I purchased some lumber at my local Home depot. On the Credit card machine a question came up before allowing me to proceed. It asked "Would you like your receipt emailed to you? Y/N"

My God! Is the next thing the same way the phoney grocery bag scam has gone? Are we going to have to pay for a printed store receipt if we don't want to give out our spammail address?

After all it's all in the name of green planet hype, isn't it? That paper receipt will kill millions of omeba in the twilight zone that protects earth.

WTF is next?

Reply to
m II

Canada. A few days ago I purchased some lumber at my local Home depot. On the Credit card machine a question came up before allowing me to proceed. It asked "Would you like your receipt emailed to you? Y/N"

My God! Is the next thing the same way the phoney grocery bag scam has gone? Are we going to have to pay for a printed store receipt if we don't want to give out our spammail address?

After all it's all in the name of green planet hype, isn't it? That paper receipt will kill millions of omeba in the twilight zone that protects earth.

WTF is next?

Reply to
WW

I would definitely refuse. I have a mediocre connection, have already had fraud on my credit card...... I am sick of the e-mail transactions they want us to do. Now think about it. They usually send us a receipt at the end of the month. I am a contractor and get hard copies for myself, my bookkeeper and the owners. I would have to print that out anyway...... Where is the savings? Also record keeping. Yes, I know, you can back it up, e-mail it to customers.... Pretty soon, I will be only in front of my computer..... Day and nights. john

Canada. A few days ago I purchased some lumber at my local Home depot. On the Credit card machine a question came up before allowing me to proceed. It asked "Would you like your receipt emailed to you? Y/N"

My God! Is the next thing the same way the phoney grocery bag scam has gone? Are we going to have to pay for a printed store receipt if we don't want to give out our spammail address?

After all it's all in the name of green planet hype, isn't it? That paper receipt will kill millions of omeba in the twilight zone that protects earth.

WTF is next?

Reply to
jloomis

I don't know how it is where you live, but our local Lowes and Home Depot are basically retail store catering to the home owner, the DYIers, and people who convert wood into saw dust in their spare time.

I doubt that only a small percent can find the receipt by the time they get their purchase out to the car. I know that discribes me.

I download my card purchases on a routine basis and account for everything so know exactly what I have purchased. So not getting a receipt would not be a big deal. I know the card entry is as good as the receipt.

HOWEVER, I have all of the receipts for tools and equipment that I have bought.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

It's OPTIONAL, and If you spend high five to six figures/year on material purchases, and must account for every penny, it's a handy one. I find it particularly handy when I have to send someone else to pickup materials ordered online/on site, when the receipt may not make it back to me.

Reply to
Swingman

Personal and business purchases can make a difference, as to a preference f or emailed receipts.

I get and keep all receipts, no matter what the purchase. I prefer a hard copy, when purchased. Not sure I would be comfortable with an emailed rece ipt for a local/in-store purchase.

A receipt is just one identifying aspect of a purchase or ownership.

For all power tools, hand-tool sets, etc., I record serial numbers and any other info on/in the owners manual, along with a copy of the receipt, for a ny future reference and in case any tools are ever stolen and they end up i n a pawn shop, in possession of a "street peddler", etc. And I scribe my i nitials and "mark" on the tools, also.

I record serial numbers on the original receipts, also, and file those, sep arately, in the "important documents" filing cabinet.

I have/take inventory pictures of tools, supplies, lumber, etc., in case of hurricane, tornado, fire and/or other damaging situations, for insurance p urposes.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Some of us like to keep electronic records of our receipts. Them being emailed keeps me from having to scan the document when I get home. AFWIW you can topically request both.

Reply to
Leon

"WW" wrote in news:ip-dnfJG7Mii7YzPnZ2dnUVZ_t- snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

We have that at the HDs in Indianapolis as well. The stupid thing is that if you say yes, you get a paper receipt anyway!

Reply to
Doug Miller

As a landlord, it is sure nice to have that receipt in a digital form that doesn't get lost in the bag or fade out over time. I can give them my spam mail address and just remember to go get that one before I clean out the trash bucket.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

You probably don't even need that. As a landlord, you probably have one card you use for purchases for your rentals. HD only needs to know what card you used for the purchase and they can look it up. This is what I do for my HD buys.

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's been dead on for us. Maybe they were working out the kinks when you were there.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I wouldn't be surprised. There's the "store card" strategy in the war on cash too.

Reply to
Contrarian

Mike,

I'm all for reducing environmental impact, but always choose the paper receipt. I don't want to type in my email address at the store, or receive a bunch of junk mail later.

If they insist on going digital, I would rather carry a USB flash drive with me and let them save a PDF version of the receipt to that. They save paper, I get a digital copy, and no junk mail. If enough places did it, it would be no different than carrying around a wallet full of credit and debit cards.

As for the paper receipts, I have three Home Depot receipts in front of me right now. The store name/address and my list of purchases are 4" to

6" long on each receipt. The remaining 6" to 8" is about store policies, information on home pickups, chances to win gift cards, surveys, and an advertisement for redbeacon. They could cut their paper usage by 1/2 to 2/3 by replacing all that extra junk with a simple one or two line web link for more information.

Most stores are guilty of excessive paper use. My recent Safeway grocery receipt has an extra 6" at the bottom telling me my accumulations for sandwich credits, surveys, back to school items, gas rewards, etc. Wasteful.

Heck, bank and bill statements are excessively wasteful too. Very inefficient layouts, often taking three pages for information that would easily have fit on one. Or the one I love, "this page is intentionally left blank". If you can print that line on there, why not print my account information there instead and save some paper?

I have gone digital for most bank and bill statements that offer it. Less waste, and it's less work for me to download the statement and archive it than it is to scan in the paper statements. But I don't care for the emailed store receipts.

Anthony Watson WatsonDIY.com/anthony.htm

Reply to
HerHusband

Mike,

Having to type in my email address is more of a hassle than dealing with the junk mail. I could easily opt out or filter the email, but when I'm done shopping I just want to check out as quickly as possible.

Obviously, neither of these is a big deal, but the paper receipt works fine for me.

Email is frequently deleted by spam filters, or simply lost in cyberspace somewhere. There's a good chance that a receipt sent by email would never arrive.

Email is also not secure. Granted, it's probably no big deal if someone else sees what you bought at Home Depot, but it's still a matter of privacy.

I would rather have an account online where I could log in and download my receipt, just like most online retailers and banking statements. Maybe have a member card I could swipe (like most grocery stores have).

Regardless, this is just a thought discussion. The paper receipt works fine for me, but I'm not totally against the email version either. It's just a matter of minimizing hassle. :)

I scan many receipts for items that have warranties, or items I simply want to remember when/where I purchased them. Usually that's big items like a TV, computer part, lawnmower, or whatever.

Anthony Watson WatsonDIY.com/anthony.htm

Reply to
HerHusband

Lowes has that. Basically a web site where you can keep stuff like paint colors you purchased for various rooms, dimensions, etc. You can also see your purchases if you swipe your card at checkout. Overall not too annoying if you choose to ignore it. I have used it to pick up an extra gallon of paint when I've either forgotten the color mix code or forgot to bring in the old lid.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Lowes has that. Basically a web site where you can keep stuff like paint colors you purchased for various rooms, dimensions, etc. You can also see your purchases if you swipe your card at checkout. Overall not too annoying if you choose to ignore it. I have used it to pick up an extra gallon of paint when I've either forgotten the color mix code or forgot to bring in the old lid.

-BR

Reply to
m II

----------------------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- You've just definded the job of salesmen.

Find the prospect's wallet.

Determine how much money is in the wallet.

Find something the prospect accept in exchange for that money.

Head to the bank.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
jthomefix

Mike, You will be given a Paper receipt always and without asking at Home D epot. The E-receipt prompt is a yes or no option. If you elect yes you will also receive a email of your receipt. If you elect No to many times the pr ompt option , using a credit, will understand you do not want a e-receipt and sw ill stop asking. At this time there is no way to get the prompt request to return to a yes/no option unless you use a different credit card. There is no added charges for these options, it is all free. Hope this helps. I love e-receipts, I can easily read them on my computer and they never fad e.

Reply to
jthomefix

Do you keep them in a fireproof safe. WW