Home Depot Plywood Quality

Page 9 of 10
Robatoy wrote:

The US has been fighting the War on Terror for over 5 years and has lost just over half the soldiers in battle as the Clinton Administration was losing during peacetime in 8 years.
In five years of the WOT, the US has lost about 3800 soldiers, from all causes (hostile action, training, accidents, homicide, disease, suicide, etc.), during wartime. In 8 years of the previous administration, the US lost 7,500 active duty military personell.
http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/004581.html

^^^ Isn't there supposed to be a decimal point in there somewhere?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah. My bad. 3.4%.
HeyBub wrote: | Doug Miller wrote:
||| Morris Dovey wrote: |||| Actually, most Americans /do/ know it. If you look at it from the |||| outside, then the dollar is in the tank - and when you look at it |||| from the inside, then the cost of everything bought with dollars |||| is skyrocketing. Either way, it's the same inflation. ||| ||| Uh, no. The current inflation rate of about 34% compares favorably ||| with the || ^^^ || Isn't there supposed to be a decimal point in there somewhere? | | Yeah. My bad. 3.4%.
You missed the point (I wasn't comparing inflation rates, rather perspectives of people inside the US vs people outside the US)
I'm not interested in arguing with your statistics - what I'm experiencing is nothing like 3.4% - but that may only reflect a difference between the way the number is produced and my real world spending.
[ The majority of my spending is for clear hardwood, plywood, glue, solar glazing, stock aluminum extrusions, stainless steel screws, carbide cutting tools, OTR shipping, and the usual gasoline, electricity, phone/dsl, natural gas, rent, and groceries. ]
I wish /I/ were seeing your 3.4% - and (probably) so do my customers.

Funny how our great Canadian dollar is worth so much, yet our mayor David Miller of Toronto, Canada's largest city is crying how Toronto is broke. He is and will be taxing everything in sight including stuff like putting a10% tax on all purchased beer and alcohol.
American currency may or may not be in the toilet, but what good is a strong Canadian dollar when our government literally taxes us into the poor house, effectively taking away any advantage to the ordinary citizen?
wrote in message

A strong Canadian dollar is not good for the economy. They are saying it has cost 250,000 jobs to date, with another 250,000 jobs if it goes par. The city of Toronto has many problems with trying to favour many groups and not doing any of it well. Hotels are not earning much profit with the scarcity of tourists, so they are not paying so much on business tax. The city is way undertaxed compared to the 905 area. I see every day people who used to complain that their property taxes doubled during re-evaluation, so now they are paying $2000.00 in property taxes instead of $1000.00, where houses in the suburbs are paying $4000.00 for houses with the same evaluation. The differences are still apparent.
Enough said, this is a thread about rising costs for wood products while quality is going down in the US, not about Toronto's mismanagement of money.
[schnipperectomized]

My company sold and installed quite a few solid surface countertops in Michigan when the exhange was $1.55. I was getting full margins and the US customer had a built-in fabulous discount. I haven't done any serious business in Michigan for 2 years now. I do get a break buying stuff in Michigan for my business and personal use.
Robatoy wrote:

Michigan is an economic basket case. And there is a move afoot to raise taxes even more.
Poor Michigan. Shame, really.

No shit, eh? Some pundits insist it has to do with fuel costs and exchange rates. I'm thinking multi-million dollar exec bonuses can't help either. Inflation is a dirty word with ANY ruling party. They all want you to think that they have the economy under control. But you can't keep pouring mega-billions into a bonfire and you can't keep printing more to make up for it without causing inflation.
But you know what? It has never, ever been different. The biggest difference is that we have a better, more accurate view of the mess, due to accelerated information sharing.
It is a bit like riding through a sewer in a glass-bottomed boat. Donkey and elephant turds all stink.
SNIP

is that we have a better, more >accurate view of the mess, due to accelerated >information sharing.

Well said. I absolutely couldn't agree more. It is stupid beyond all description to think that governmental waste and stupidity is something new.
And with our political party system, it is hard to tell one from the other these days as they will tell you anything you want to hear to get elected and stay in office.
They all suck, it just depends on how you want your poison.
Robert
wrote: [schnipferizectomy]

No different here in Canuckistan. But that blantant sell-out of the Dems, for a paltry 20 billion in pork, so they could give Chimp his 100 billion is extortion, pure and simple. I let you have 20 if you give me my 100. That Pelosi is as big a piece of shit as that DeLay was. As long as it costs half a billion to get elected POTUS, big business will always dictate who it is going to be. That is especially handy these days with corruptable electronic voting machines. This will go on and on and on. So will the attempts to take away the right to bear arms..can't have the serfs too pissed, you know...
But... maybe 100 years from now our children's children will have their own Bastille Day.
And just because I want to help the poor, that doesn't disqualify me from drawing a bead on the first fool who wants to send my kids off to a foreign land to fetch some oil for the governor's Hummer.

I'll take mine from a tap at the pub. Freedom through death, one pint at the time..(I'll be 100)
Robatoy wrote:

How so? You do know the individual limit on campaign contribution is just a thousand or two, corporations can't officially buy their way in.... although speech, book and Presidential libraries do allow rewards beyond oversight.......The media's favorite candidate does get a leg up on the process(free & biased coverage) but often as not the voters reject the chosen darling

Agreed....Without a paper trail it is not a question of if but rather when.
Our state has moved to "mail ballots only" of which is as bad .....Even worse we lose a sense of community and patriotism.....Our family including the grown kids would gather prior to a election to discuss issues and candidates then troop down in mass to vote together (same district)......when the youngest came of age we documented the vote with pictures and a voting pizza party
Rod
If you can't think of ways around that, you're not thinking very hard.

CW wrote:

I covered that under "speech, book and Presidential libraries" nonetheless the $100-200 million or whatever directly raised for a presidential election is from "small" contributors.....without this support it is not going to happen .... not to mention that most "big business" contribute to both parties to hedge their bets. Rod
You're not thinking very hard.

election
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
> I know it is a function > of money/time on the rack/bottom line, etc., but I can't figure out > why they QUIT carrying a better grade since it was selling. The sold > the daylights out of that stuff.
It's known as "bean counter mentality".
If you want to quickly destroy a business, put a bean counter in charge.
The examples are numerous.
1) L Townsend at Chrysler 2) R Smith at GM
They are the first to come to mind, but there are others.
Lew

< big snip >
Does anyone with knowledge know the current status of the China plywood flap? The last I heard was that the US was going to file a complaint against China for selling the plywood that is marked as meeting standards that it obviously doesn't meet.
Funny - I usually have better luck with Home Depot for plywood then I do with Lowes. When I want decent plywood I go to my local hardwoods store and spend a lot of time just loooking before picking. Lowes and Home Depot are not the places to buy your quality plywood -- good sources for shop stuff but not what I would put in my family room.
Later and best of luck. Thom

Be aware that some of the plywood in BORG stores (blue and orange) actually comes from local distributors.
I can call a local wholesale plywood distributor, bring the info to my local HD Pro Desk, and have the material the next day. I _have_ to know exactly what I want when I deal with HD, but I can get slatwall, phenolic board, bending plywood, or just about any hardwood veneer.
If I need a decent amount, I'll still haul my cargo trailer to my favorite hardwood dealer, a 35 mile round trip, but HD is less than 2 miles away. The same wholesaler will ship non-stock product to the hardwood dealer or my buddy's bicycle shop, if I order enough.
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern materials. I've used the birch and oak ply from both Lowes and Home Depot. I never let 100 grit or anything coarser than 150 get anywhere near it. As you've noticed, the face veneer is extremely thin. I don't think there's much you can do do change this without a time machine.