Home Depot is clearancing PC 333 VS

At least in our area, home depot has the Porter Cable Variable Speed random orbit sander marked down to $59.. the sander is usually around $80. So you get variable speed model for about the same price as the single speed model.

Reply to
pete rose

Interesting. I'd given some thought to picking one up (pre-clearance), but a quick Google through the wreck kinda convinced me that this ROS is a POS. Anyone using one that can comment whether it's any good, worth the money, etc.?

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

I bought a 333VS a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it.

I would save your money and buy the DeWalt or Makita.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

RE: Subject.

It's a cute little toy, whatever the price.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Some of the reviews I read said it was great. I've always found their products very reliable, but not always the latest bells & whistles. Instead of getting that model, I went for the Porter-Cable 7336 6" Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander. I'm not into the hook and loop sandpaper. It's expensive and you don't find it in bulk. I also don't care for the dust collection holes in the paper as they tend to snag on things like a hole plug that I'm trying to sand smooth. Ran into that one with the Dewalt ROS at work today. They have their benefits too, but since I have the choice, I opted to skip it.

The 6" disk is VERY common in the automotive refinishing realm. You can buy adhesive backed disks on a roll from any auto paint shop or online. The trick to using adhesive pads is to remove it as soon as you're finished. The adhesive is still warm and the sandpaper lifts off as easy as the velcro pads. Let it sit for a while, the paper can tear, leaving pieces on the sander. I keep a few rolls of the more common grits of sandpaper and each roll lasts a long time.

My sander does make a LOT of dust, I won't kid you!. But I either do most of my sanding outside, or at least have a fan blowing it outside. Never an issue when I do this. I may later build a down draft box for smaller projects. I can get the optional dust collector for mine, but I'd be back to expensive disks and perferated paper that can catch on irregular surfaces.

Reply to
2manytoyz

They you are not looking.

Less than $30/100 pieces covers all 6" dia, 8 hole, grits I use.

Sometimes I'm forced to use PSA, but it is a real PITA.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Got one, excellent tool. I'd buy it again at the normal price, so it's a bargain at the blow-out price.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought I was going to have to make a trip back to return it after the other poster said it had a poor repuation.

Reply to
pete rose

They are clearing them out in my area too (Northern Michigan) so I picked one up along with a couple of the $100 PC 8529 routers. I've had a little time to play with the last few days too because I've had to sleep in the garage. ;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "pete rose" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 1:20 PM Subject: Home Depot is clearancing PC 333 VS

Reply to
Ryan Willobee

Ive used one for over a year now and considering my measuring/cutting skills leave a lot to be desired, I've not had any problems with mine. I'd guess I've gone through at least 400 sanding disks. VS option works great for curves and delicate areas.

TomL

Reply to
TomL

============================================= mine is a 333 ...hook and loop ... not sure of the letter designation because honestly I never paid much attention to it...Amyhow it is now at least 5 years old and it has preformed EXTREMELY well (read I have never had a single problem)......If it had an hour meter it would be reading at least 4 digits

Would I buy another.... you bet..!

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

What do you use, Lew?

Cheers, Abe

Reply to
Abe

What is your area?

Anybody seen these in any Atlanta area HDs? The Vinings, East Cobb, Kennesaw, and Woodstock stores have only the single speed model, at normal price.

Reply to
alexy

Submitted for your amusement.

I went to the Borg to pick one up without reading too closely.

I bought a 333 single speed for $59 without noticing it wasn't a variable speed. After I noticed what I had I went back and checked, they didn't have any variable speed in the Roseville, CA store.

I decided to keep it anyway since I wanted a random orbit sander. I'm glad I got it.

It really fills the gap between my old 1/4 sheet sander and my belt sanders. It works very nicely.

I used it to clean up a moderate sized aluminum casting yesterday, starting with 80 grit to get the casting marks and dings of the ages out and working up to 220. After that then a few minutes hand sanding with grades up to 600 and the part is ready for polishing.

Also tried it on an old motorcycle tank that needs some metal work. It almost as nice as an air powered d/a, just bulkier.

Works good on wood too :)

Dick

Dick

Reply to
Rico

I have had a 6" Bosch for several years and have totally abused it, but like Timex, it "Keeps on ticking".

When it comes time to do the final finish work on the hull, will definitely look at an 8" Fein since that job represents sanding out over 800 sq ft.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have one and like it except that the dust can keeps falling off. I've tried the blue masking tape, but it gets dusty quickly and falls off, too. Next time I need to do a lot of sanding I'm going to try getting some very slightly larger o-rings in hopes that they will grip the dust filter a little more tightly.

Reply to
tastbits