Home Depot is clearancing PC 333 VS

At least in our area, home depot has the Porter Cable Variable Speed random orbit sander marked down to $59.. the sander is usually around $80. So you get variable speed model for about the same price as the single speed model.
Interesting. I'd given some thought to picking one up (pre-clearance), but a quick Google through the wreck kinda convinced me that this ROS is a POS. Anyone using one that can comment whether it's any good, worth the money, etc.?

Jim
I bought a 333VS a couple of years ago and have had nothing but trouble with it.
I would save your money and buy the DeWalt or Makita.
Rob

RE: Subject.
It's a cute little toy, whatever the price.
--
Lew

What do you use, Lew?
Cheers, Abe
"Abe" writes:

I have had a 6" Bosch for several years and have totally abused it, but like Timex, it "Keeps on ticking".
When it comes time to do the final finish work on the hull, will definitely look at an 8" Fein since that job represents sanding out over 800 sq ft.
HTH
--
Lew

Some of the reviews I read said it was great. I've always found their products very reliable, but not always the latest bells & whistles. Instead of getting that model, I went for the Porter-Cable 7336 6" Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander. I'm not into the hook and loop sandpaper. It's expensive and you don't find it in bulk. I also don't care for the dust collection holes in the paper as they tend to snag on things like a hole plug that I'm trying to sand smooth. Ran into that one with the Dewalt ROS at work today. They have their benefits too, but since I have the choice, I opted to skip it.
The 6" disk is VERY common in the automotive refinishing realm. You can buy adhesive backed disks on a roll from any auto paint shop or online. The trick to using adhesive pads is to remove it as soon as you're finished. The adhesive is still warm and the sandpaper lifts off as easy as the velcro pads. Let it sit for a while, the paper can tear, leaving pieces on the sander. I keep a few rolls of the more common grits of sandpaper and each roll lasts a long time.
My sander does make a LOT of dust, I won't kid you!. But I either do most of my sanding outside, or at least have a fan blowing it outside. Never an issue when I do this. I may later build a down draft box for smaller projects. I can get the optional dust collector for mine, but I'd be back to expensive disks and perferated paper that can catch on irregular surfaces.

"2manytoyz" writes:

They you are not looking.
Less than $30/100 pieces covers all 6" dia, 8 hole, grits I use.
Sometimes I'm forced to use PSA, but it is a real PITA.
--
Lew

On 17 Sep 2003 17:32:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (PC Gameplayer) wrote:

Got one, excellent tool. I'd buy it again at the normal price, so it's a bargain at the blow-out price.
Barry

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought I was going to have to make a trip back to return it after the other poster said it had a poor repuation.
Ive used one for over a year now and considering my measuring/cutting skills leave a lot to be desired, I've not had any problems with mine. I'd guess I've gone through at least 400 sanding disks. VS option works great for curves and delicate areas.
TomL
On 17 Sep 2003 17:32:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (PC Gameplayer) wrote:

PC Gameplayer wrote:

because honestly I never paid much attention to it...Amyhow it is now at least 5 years old and it has preformed EXTREMELY well (read I have never had a single problem)......If it had an hour meter it would be reading at least 4 digits
Would I buy another.... you bet..!
Bob Griffiths
They are clearing them out in my area too (Northern Michigan) so I picked one up along with a couple of the $100 PC 8529 routers. I've had a little time to play with the last few days too because I've had to sleep in the garage. ;-)