Home Depot benefits

Anyone know what benefits Home Depot has for part-time employees?? Specifically, medical and dental plans for part-timers - cost, details ?? Thanks, TB
I would be shocked if they offered any insurance at all if you work part time. That is a big plus for a company that hires part time help because they do not have to offer any benefits.

If you don't know, why do you risk being shocked. What's part time? 10hrs/week, 15hrs/week, 20hrs/week - you can probably guess/figure the increments to a 40 hour week. Rarely does any company offer benefits to employees that work less than half time (20 hrs). Many HD and Lowes employees only work 1 - 3 days a week (retired people etc.). The majority of the employees present each day are full time (except after 6pm). I don't think you were implying that HD hires only part time employees so they don't have to offer benefits, but then again ...

Did you bother to check their website before you asked?
<http://careers.homedepot.com/benefits>
scott
Scott, Thanks, yes I checked their web site. "Medical" could mean many things, and I was trying to get some details like PPO/HMO/high deductible/ MSA plan, dependents covered/not covered etc....

Same approach - ask the company.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
TB wrote:

Then why don't you call them and ask?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Yes, the Personnel Department or Human resources at Home Depot know. Ask them and they will tell you, no charge.
It really depends on where your located. Most franchisee's are only going to give you what is required by law. Essentially minimum wage as specified by your state or province, till you start working your way up the ladder and demonstrate some degree of responsibility and commitment.
Best thing to do is go into a location and talk to them about a part-time job.

SawDust (Pat) wrote:

What are you talking about? Franchise? Home Depot's store are company owned/operated. Not a franchise.

Even better look at their website where they spell out all the benefits available to full-time & salaried employees, part-timers, etc. Pretty impressive even if they're not my favorite place to spend money.

Costs and details will best be answered by a current employee who knows what he's talking about or applying for a job and getting the straight skinny from them. It does appear that health benefits are available to the part-timers however. That alone could make up for crappy wages in today's world.
1) Big sign at one of our local HD's "Franchise Opportunities".
2) Big Difference between employee benefits depending on whether your looking at the US website or the Canadian Website. US website has decent benefits for part-time staff. I was quite impressed. The Canadian website benefits are no different than what they are required to give an employee by law in the province in which I live, and their a fraction of what is offered on the US site. Although they do offer some minor benefits, which I'm sure are at the full cost of the employee.
3) Just as easy to talk to a human and get everything explained and the OP might walk out with a job too.
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:40:53 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

on 3/17/2005 3:30 PM SawDust (Pat) said the following:

I may have missed it but everything that I did find indicated all stores are company owned and on the Canadian site it specifically stated that there were no franchise opportunities. You in Canada or close enough to be checking both sides of the border?

Well, the benefits do look pretty good but then you have to wonder if they have a "cafeteria" plan, what % is covered by HD, etc.

As it turns out the OP already had everything we've kicked around but wanted specifics, apparently down to the dollar amounts. He's only going to get that information (with any accuracy) by naming the locale of the store and hooking up with a current employee who's savvy on the local offerings or, as you and I both suggested, walk in the door, fill out an application or at least express interest in working there.
Now that we know what he knows and what he wants to know, his original question is not unlike asking, "What kind of hammer should I buy?" <g>
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:58:20 GMT, Unquestionably Confused

Wonder if that "franchise opportunities" is for the people who do various contract jobs -- flooring installers, appliance delivery, etc. i.e. all of those things that they advertise as "installation by local professionals" -- that could be the franchisees.
SawDust (Pat) wrote:

A quote from Home Depot's web site:
"Is The Home Depot a franchise? Can I own a Home Depot store?
No. At the present time all Home Depot stores are company owned and operated. To date we have never franchised our stores."
See:
http://www.homedepot.com/HDUS/EN_US/corporate/about/our_stores.shtml
--
Jack Novak