Home Depot and power tools

Page 5 of 6
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Wait a minute. There were 100 people in line at 0300? Three in the _morning_?
--John
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:53:10 -0400, "J. Clarke"

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

And at Dart that could well be the case. Maybe they've improved. Hopefully they're gone. IIRC, the guy who owned them also started the first discount book store. Can't recall the name, but I shopped there now and then. Almost as bad as Dart.
Lobby Dosser wrote:
... snip

Why? I can see once, but after that, why put yourself through that kind of hassle?

Prices.

In the DC area 0300 meant nothing.
On Sat, 03 May 2008 01:49:12 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Properly installed, I LOVE those things!
However, HD's don't work that well, and lots of items in a Home Center don't lend themselves to them.
For stuff that fits on the scanner and outfeed shelf, and is properly barcoded, I think they're great. It all falls apart when some dumbass goes to the self-serve checkout with 19 sheets of drywall, (10) 16' 2x10's, or a riding mower.
An employee that guides the customers with items obviously unsuitable for self-checkout to another line and rings them out would help immensely.
Our local grocery stores have them as well. One chain's version works very well, using scales and is set up for a relatively high scanning speed. The other one is lame, trying to match an image with a scanned picture as the item slowly travels under a camera.

The camera thing sounds really Goofy. I didn't think photo matching had come far enough for use in a grocery store.
Swingman wrote:

Pretty good description, consider that borrowed.

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

A remarkable treatise on the vagaries of "educating beyond intelligence" versus "common sense", left un-snipped on purpose for posterity!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Here in Cincinnati I go to Mueller Company <http://www.muellerco.com/ . They're not the cheapest place in town, but their sales staff is knowledgeable and courteous. I bought a band saw there a few years ago. When I got it home I discovered that one of the wheels was cracked. I took it back a day or two later and added more money to buy an American-made saw (which I still have). When I buy a good table saw to replace the el cheapo thing I bought used, I intend to go to Mueller. I could get it cheaper online, but I try to patronize local stores when I can. In this case I can. I bought a floor-model drill press, a planer, a (small) jointer, and some other equipment from them. (clamps, etc)
I have no connection to them, in fact I think I annoy some of the sales staff, but I like the place.

<snip some great stuff that I'm going to keep, and use in my next rant...>
Sing it brotha! Swingman - give him a groove to get this thing lifted up. I'll throw in a couple of accent leads, as long as we don't mind an occasional missed note. I'll crank the gain up so the missed notes aren't so apparent.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yuppers. Companies/stores are in business to make money. This same trend can be seen in other markets as well, esp. as economic times make money more dear. Look at the changes at Radio Shack. At one time you could buy a whole wealth of component parts there, and had a good chance of finding someone at the store that knew electronics. Now you can hardly find a fuse, and all you get are blank stares when you ask an electronics-related question. But then that whole market is going down hill. When was the last time you say a TV repair shop? Why fix when it's easier/cheaper to buy a new one. NO ONE does component-level repair on computers either.
It seems that the only way to sell large hunks of iron, like automobiles for example, is to have them on the floor so one can drool over it. I believe their new policy will result in a decline in sales of these items. I don't buy items like that unless I can see and feel it. Just like I don't buy a car unless I can test drive it.
G.S.
On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:12:19 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:56:54 -0700, Old Guy wrote:

Interesting. I bought the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander Monday and the store looked just like always. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in there. But right now I wonder if it wasn't just that store.
BTW, sometimes we get lucky. I knew prices were going up almost everywhere as a result of the tanking dollar and fuel costs, so I went to get the sander while the $199 price was still in effect. They had coupons for a dollar amount off depending on purchase amount hanging in various places in the tool aisle. I got $30 off on the sander! Usually those sales occur the day after I buy something :-).
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Somebody pointed out that they don't have the tools on display unless they are near a Lowes. Well, the HD down the street doesn't have tools on display. The one across the street from Coastal doesn't have tools on display, but sure enough, the one in Manchester across the street from Lowes _does_ have the tools on display.

--John

OTOH, Coastal has pretty decent displays in an industrial sort of way. I drive past quite a few HD and a Woodcraft to get there.

They do, as does Tools Plus. I've never been inside the HD across from TP in Waterbury.
Coastal is also pretty good about opening a box if there's no display model.
Just heard on the radio that HD is closing 15 stores due to lagging sales. Maybe their sales model is not working well.

It's a tough economy out there. The average HD or Lowes store runs on about a 7% storewide margin - that's not a lot of margin. Little room for error.