Home Depot and power tools

Page 4 of 6

I never quite understood the concept of an unarmed security guard, it makes as much sense as him carrying an unloaded gun.

Sometimes a Uniform is off puting. And Armed security guards have a reputation for winging the innocent - whether or not that reputation is deserved is another matter. Think Dick Cheney with a shotgun. :)

There is a thing on the Comedy Channel (or maybe CMT) tonight called 20 top redneck moments. Dick Cheney's prowness with a shotgun in prominenty featured.

The fact that the victim was a lawyer was just icing ...
No offense to lawyers. Some of you are useful. :)

OK, name him.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Any of those who work, especially pro bono, to free those falsefully convicted of capital cases who then get the death penality, might be a pretty good starting place.
Lew

LOL!
Armed security actually puts the guard a huge legal risk if they ever pull their gun.
--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.

I work with a guy that was a bit crazy when a kid.
He walked into a store with his heavy metal tape. Picked up a boom box, opened a pack of batteries and put them in, as well as his tape. Put it on his shoulder and blared the heavy metal music. Store manger yells at him "get the hell out of here with that thing" so he did.
Another time, same store, he walked out with a canoe.

Well you could always just scan one and not the other, but then you get caught at the door. I don't know if the self check outs deactivate also, I often have the head cashier come over and assist when he or she hears some kind of alarm.

I suspect that the bag area weighs the plastic bags when a new customer begins scanning. If you toss your heavier cloth bag on the scale it thinks you are trying to add something that has not been scanned. Most all grocery stores that have self check out are equipped much like the Self Serve at HD.
It's all based on weight. The thing that hold the bag is actually a scale. Every item in the store has been weighted and the weight is stored in the scanner computer. You try to scan one item and put 3 in the bag, it will catch you.
So you put your own bag on the scale and it thinks you are sliding something by the scanner. J. Clarke wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Weight. Those collection areas have scales to ensure that you aren't cheating the system by scanning something cheap and bagging something more expensive.

On Mon, 05 May 2008 07:17:08 -0500, Frank Boettcher wrote:

In Spokane, a lot of stores sell them. We've used our own at the grocery store for many years. They even take a nickel off the bill each time we use a reusable bag.
willshak wrote: ...

If you're really on a time-critical mission or working, granted. But as other respondents noted (and has been my experience as well), about as often as not the da-ed things don't work reliably enough that the time savings is minimal at best and the aggravation is certainly not worth whatever small amount of time it might save.
I won't use the things simply for such reasons and I'm certainly not computer illiterate--

Chill, dood! :)
Life's too much a rush already--that's what we small town folk do best--chat up the neighbor even if we did just see him at the donut shop (aka "intellectual center" at 7)...
"dpb" wrote

Indeed you must be. For the FIRST thing you learn about computers is to NEVER let one know you're in a hurry!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

:)
_I'm_ highly unlikely to be in much of a hurry to begin with...I'm the one who doesn't care whether the fella' in front is talking to the clerk(ette)! (In fact, here it's a good chance I know him/her as well and can simply just join in the party...)
When I have attempted to use one of the beasties, however (almost always in the accompaniment of somebody else who does think they're in a hurry), the previous posters' litanies of problems w/ them seem to crop up virtually every time...it's the aggravation of that I can do w/o finding the other aggravation of standing in the queue of lesser evil even if there isn't somebody to chat up.... :)
I'd guess 90% of the "shopping" I do is at places where have open accounts, anyway. In general, unless I can do that I don't patronize the location on a regular basis.

"dpb" wrote

"The Queue of Lesser Evil" ... make a good book title for Bruce Sterling. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08
Swingman wrote:

Should I file for copyright? :)

Dart Drugs. Rockville, Maryland. 1980. I'm standing on line at three in the am along with about 100 other customers. The single clerk is checking the sales price of Every item against the store flyer. I ask the guy behind me if it's usually this bad. He says people have been known to reach retirement age and die in a Dart Drugs line. Smart shoppers, he says, put enough food and beverage in their cart to ensure they can make it to the checkout. He notes that I might have a problem and offers a snickers. They have horrifying loss rates on food and beverages. No one ever pays for anything consumed on line.