Home Depot and power tools

Page 2 of 6
On Fri, 02 May 2008 15:53:40 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

That's why Woodcraft (and others) don't have "cashiers" as such. Whoever is near the cash register does the job.
But I wouldn't expect a big box store to do it that way - too much real estate to cover :-). So in that sense you're right.
On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:00:11 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Right! At the bicycle shop, whoever is dealing with the customer rings them out. We don't do commission, so that's not why we do it this way.
We also do the "Nordstom's" treatment, where we walk the customer to the item (or dressing room, service dept., bathroom, etc...), rather than pointing them in the proper direction.
BTW... in the middle of "The Current Recession", the bicycle shop just had the best April in the 12 years of current ownership.

Had that happen twice in the local Lowes last week. Sometimes I'll ask them just to point so I can browse along the way.
"Mike Marlow" wrote

Used to be a cashier used a cash register as a tool in transacting business; nowadays the cash register transacts the business, and uses the cashier as a tool for data input.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

And try to find one at Home Despot.
All going to self check up here.

Out here on the Upper Left Coast we are seeing more and more self serve registers. Typically one employee covers 6-8 of them. Instead of a friendly face and maybe some conversation, you get to listen to the guy at the next register bitching about the scanner and he gets to hear you cursing under your breath when yours tells you to take the item out of the bag for the fourth time.
"Lobby Dosser" wrote

Point well taken. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08
On Sat, 03 May 2008 01:49:12 +0000, Lobby Dosser wrote:

I refuse to use the self serve registers. If that is all that is open I will go to the contractor's register to check out, which does not have any of the self serve kind. I have noticed others that will not go to these registers, even when asked to do so.
Paul T.
--
The only dumb question, is the one not asked

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

Never had a problem with them... But being a computer geek it's just another computer system to me. I feel they're faster, and they allow me to carry my single item purchase out of the store without yet another plastic bag.
Puckdropper
--
Where's my remote?

Puckdropper wrote:

Ever notice that at Lowes if you buy something that's too light to register on the scale that reports something in the bagging area the system gives you the option to skip bagging while at Home Despot you have to wait for employee intervention?
--John
Puckdropper wrote:

I'm with you. For the most part, I want to go into a store, get what I want, and get out. If that's groceries, tools, or whatever it is i'm looking for, I want to be done with it as quickly as possible. The first systems that were auto checkout were a bit quirky and were more frustrating that anything else. But the local grocery stores and HD seem to have that worked out now, and I'm happier to bag my own stuff anyway.
--

Tanus

This is not really a sig
"Puckdropper" wrote

Ditto ... I've been known to seek them out, even with an 8' tubafour or two.
Although when buying a single item that is too light to register on the "take out" scale, or too bulky to put there like said tubafours, and the droid keeps repeating itself, I tend to get pissed if lose my balance by having to leave my foot on the scale long enough to complete the transaction.
It does have its plusses, however ... if the day has inexplicably gone too damn good up to that point, I can pick that "other" language just to get back in the proper frame of mind.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I've not had much luck. Most time something does not register or some other problem. I tried again at the supermarket a couple weeks ago and it would not register some of my items. I found though, that if you just toss them to the bagging area, it does not matter.
I'll take a real person any day.
On 5/3/08 2:29 AMMay 3, "Puckdropper" <puckdropperatyahoodotcom> wrote:

Well, I'm another computer geek and I get really frustrated with them. I can usually figure out how to use them but the software design is so bad that I want to re-design it on the spot.

I'm with you.
--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

On Sat, 03 May 2008 03:15:51 +0000, PHT wrote:

Same here. Seems to me they're just another way for the stores to eliminate jobs.
Our library even has a self-check option. I won't use it either.
BTW, the incidence of stolen books and magazines has gone up because they can't tell if you actually checked your books out or just stood in front of the self-checkout terminal and made appropriate motions.

Additionally, I actually enjoy talking to people. For the most part, the people behind the tills here in Saskatoon are friendly and enjoy a bit of chatter.

--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

I went to the bank and the teller informs me that I could get cash form the ATM machine at no charge out side. I looked her and just shook my head. The liberals love these kind of people.
on 5/2/2008 11:15 PM PHT said the following:

If I am shopping in the nearby city (which is more of a big town than a city) and stop in to buy a box of nails, or a few other small items, at the HD there, I will use the self-serve checkout rather than wait on line while a half dozen people, each with a dozen items or more, are in front of me. Time is money. I can check out my small purchase before that line reduces by one customer.Those people that don't use the self-serves are probably computer illiterate and are afraid of them. I notice that a lot of stores have self-checkout stations, the WalMart in that city being one of them. As for friendly conversation with people in the checkout line, I live in a small town where a lot of people know each other. My pet peeve is standing in the checkout line while the clerk and customer are having a personal conversation while no checking or packing is being done.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:
<snipped>

I had to make a quick run to Home Depot last evening for a small blister pack of screws. The two registers that were open each had a fairly long line so I attempted to use the self check out.
The bar code on the plastic bag wouldn't scan. I had to wait for the attendant while see assisted another customer.
The package was too light to register as being placed in the bag. More waiting.
The bill scanner wouldn't recognize the new issue $5 bill, the only bills I grabbed off my dresser before heading to the store.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA