home depot - Forget "qualifications" for a job, people hire people they like

Not to disagree with your opinion, but there are some things that make the long time employee more valuable, at least from the get go when hiring a new person.

- New person takes time to train and has to prove himself. Working twice as hard in the beginning, while laudable, doesn't state much since every new employee works twice as hard in the beginning.

- Long time employee has assumedly proven that he's going to show up for work.

- Long time employee has assumedly proven that he's trustworthy.

- Long time employee has the experienced the occasional operation problems and how to accomplish something if there's a difficulty doing it the regular way.

- If the long time employee has contact with customers, then he's going to have developed a relationship with some or perhaps many of those customers.

Sure the long time employee could be lazy, untrustworthy and barely worth his wages, but if that was true, then it's the management's problem for keeping him as an employee. One could also argue that the long time employee knows how to work the system, but anyway you slice it, there's always going to be some advantages that the long time employee has over newer employees.

Reply to
Upscale

Good points Upscale - you well identified some of the characteristics of "performance". Well worth paying for.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I know what you're saying Mark but that would fall into the category of anecdotal. Not all of the advice in the BORGs is advanced level advice and occasionally you can find downright wrong advice as in this case. Not trying to suggest it does not exist, just that it is anecdotal and things like this are too often use to characterize the folks there. Heck - I've gotten plane and simple wrong advice at far better stores than HD before - it happens. Frankly, I don't look to the folks at the BORG for much more advice than where a particular product is in the store. It's all I really expect from them for the most part, so I'm seldom disappointed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

(good list of attributes snipped)

All those things do add up to a more valuable employee and if true, he should make more. In the real world. that is not always the case.

Let's say we make widgests. We have 20 people making them. We expect each employee to make 100 widgets a day. It is repetative labor, not much skill required. The new guy comes in and makes 80 widgets today, 90 a few days later, eventuall work up to 110 a day. Old Fred has been here for 15 ears and makes between 99 and 101 a day. Has never taken on any additional duties, never showed interest in a promotion, just keeps making his widgets and goes home.

We sell widgets based on what our costs are and what the market will bear on prices. How can you justify paying the senior person more money?

In a skilled labor environment, experience make a huge difference. Knowing where the main power switch is on a malfunctioning machine, knowing how a problem was solved ten years ago can save the company thousands of dollars in down time. That makes an employee valuable.

One would hope so, but . . . . There will always be an exception. You don't need the old guy telling the new workers to slow down. Why do 110 widgets when the company only expects 100?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I see you've worked in a union shop. Production plus one, even if you had to stop the line a couple times in the last hour for critical potty breaks.

BTDT

Reply to
George

Unfortunately, I've had direct experience with something similar in only one place and that was a union setting. When I worked at Pearson Airport in Toronto for General Aviation some thirty years ago, the 'minimum needed' type of work ethic was 'strongly suggested' in almost every case because it supported the union. The people I respected and befriended there were people who didn't subscribe to that ethic and to a man, they all transferred out to other companies at the airport during the two years I was there. I was glad to get out of there because of the strong-arming that went on. One or two of them I could have challenged and would probably have had to fight if it came down to it, but to challenge dozens at the same time is tantamount to getting the crap beat out of you.

The only other union shop I worked in was the job I had at Goodyear in a truck tire retreading plant. Unknowingly, I befriended one of the union stewards so that the job was relatively stress free, but like the idiot I was, I left that job for the better pay at the airport. That's something that was very demoralizing, reaching for something I thought was better only to find that I landed in a world of shit.

Reply to
Upscale

The upshot of all is always that labor is a cost of doing business--it's required that the labor be cost-effective for the employer or there won't any long-term employment.

If productivity is improved, then there may be additional revenue generated that can absorb increased wages, but these benefits are often offset by rising costs in other areas.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Don't get me ranting on that one, Ed...LOL PLEASE!!!

I used to supply roughly 20 area kitchen dealers with solid surface counter tops. "The Big Boys" from the big city rolled in (and elsewhere in a 200-mile radius around Toronto) and started to beat my prices. Many dealers dropped me, some loyal guys stayed on (and some are still with me even though I sold the business.) "The Big Boys", with me out of their way, started jacking up the prices, but they simply could not sustain their low prices, because most of the costs are material-related and the same for both of us.... except, they had higher transportation costs, and their labour force was living in a much higher cost-of-living area than my guys and I. Soon enough, my previous dealers started to trickle back to me... My prices TO THEM were increased by 15 - 20%.. My guys got a raise... and we all lived happily ever after. One of the "Big Boys" had made serious investments in buildings and machinery and had to bail. Many investors lost their shirts.

Moral of the story: when one of my loyal customers calls for a rush job, I'll stay late to make it happen. If one of the dealers who dropped me calls for a rush job...he waits and his price goes up. That is not revenge, it's business. That was there excuse too: "Just business, Rob, really"....

Reply to
Robatoy

Glad you hung in there.

Second moral to the story. Bigger is not always better; more sales is not always more profit. You MUST make a profit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let me guess. This one of your wife transitioning periods? :)

Reply to
Upscale

Ouch ouch ouch...I wrote:

That was there excuse too: "Just business, Rob, really"....

Was supposed to have read:

That was their excuse too: "Just business, Rob, really"....

*shaking my head* That does it, I need to stop reading UseNet....LOL
Reply to
Robatoy

Their, their...

Lou