Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 6 of 8

For many years now I have been buying from McFeeleys, but only to restock what I have used from my inventory. I typically order 500-1,000 screws from them once or twice a year. MUCH handier to have it on hand that to go the store and buy them and are typically better quality.

My two-time experiences with McFeeleys has been very positive. Prices, while generally higher, are not painful and the products that I've purchased were exactly what I needed. Unlike the machine screws that I'd purchased prior from OSH (a formerly GREAT hardware store but ruined by Sears -- a curse from the gahds on that corporate bastion of greed and averice) which sheered with the slightest pressure making a simple job not, I'll order from McFeeleys when I'm able to plan a job out.
The Ranger
Snip .

The screws I ordered from McFeeleys and had problems with were 1/8" machine screws and that was 10+ years ago and they were not graded. When in doubt give them a call, they will not steer you wrong. I did not need a quality fastener at the time but was surprised that they were no better than the typical no name Borg screws.
I do like McFeeleys, I have probably 2-3 thousand of their wood screws on hand at any particular time.

Hey Range! I didn't know you could drive a nail. ;)
nb

Are you kidding?! Wait for warmer weather? Spawn's one of them-thar polar b'ahrs. She loves the Pacific in winter.
The Ranger

I had the same experience. I have never been disappointed by their regular screws, but I did get a crappy box of dowel screws from them once. I called them on it and they offered me the opportunity to return them at my expense. ( I was underwhelmed).
Buyer beware. Just because McFeeleys stocks it, it does not make it quality.

Precicely, you can generally rest assured that if their fasteners claim to be hardened or graded they will be good, if not, it will be iffy.
Leon wrote:

I don't recall who it was but McFeely's was bought by somebody and is now run as a subsidiary...I think the expanded product line outside the original focus on square-head and related wood screw products and the range of grades stems from that change; it was after that the catalogs started to grow in size.
wrote in message

Grainger but McFeeleys has had an expanded product line for quite a some time, long before the buy out.
Leon wrote:

realignment--they initially were bought by some (relatively) small Michigan(?) outfit that promised they were going to leave them essentially alone. I recall the letter from McNeely explaining how nothing was going to change. That was when the mail catalog was still only about 10-12 pages or so; almost all the square head and other wood fasteners w/ only a few other things thrown in...
OK, I went anna' looked -- Safety Supply, Inc is the holder which is in turn held by Grainger. But, they didn't buy McFeely until 2007 their site says. I surely thought that announcement was quite some time earlier than that. Came back to farm about this time in '00 and it seemed to me it wasn't much after that....ah, well, it's amazing how time all runs together as one gets geezery....
The original Mr McFeely was at another industrial supply outfit in Lynchburg that was a full-line Delta distributor amongst a zillion other things while we were there and left to start McFeely's about the time I left VA for TN. They started out as primarily a custom sawyer and millworks until after Bill was killed in mid-80s(?) in a mill accident...

Yeah I remember that now, going way back. IIRC McFeeley himself sold the business to JIM? IIRC Jim? worked there already. The Grainger thing is pretty recent, last 2 or 3 years. The other one you are talking about was probably 20+ years ago.
Leon wrote:

threaded fastener you want and more of high quality.
Leon wrote:

"Real hardware store" is too fuzzy a concept to be useful. OLD hardware store would be a better bet--one that has been around since before HD--at least that's a well defined term. OTOH, does Rocky's Ace, founded 1926, really stock better fasteners than HD? They do stock a wider range of specialty fasteners, that I'll grant them, but are their packaged fasteners really any better?
Most localities in the US have within reasonable driving distance a Fastenal. In any metropolitan area there should be a section in the Yellow Pages for "fasteners" or "screws" or "bolts". Near the water in any city with a harbor there will be marine hardware places that have a good stock of corrosion resistant fasteners--alas the packages come with a picture of a boat on them so they'll cost twice as much as the same fastener without the picture of a boat. Near any major airport there will be an aircraft hardware place--they'll have fasteners made to military specification that are very high quality, but they won't be cheap.

Any true craftsman examines the use that the fastener or part will be subjected to, then adjusts the quality or grade of the part. It is common practice in automotive where in some applications, a harder stronger grade of fastener is required.
There is not a thing wrong with the soft steel flimsy stuff they sell at HD. The fault lies in the fact that you used it incorrectly. 1/4" lag bolts have a very low twist off pressure. But now you know that. How is this going to affect your future purchases? How is this going to affect whether or not you drill a pilot hole?
This is YOUR fault, and no one else's. Home Depot sells a lot of crap, but if you know that going in, you don't put a cheater pipe on it during install.
Steve

It's very odd that you quote someone, omit the attribution, and leave out ALL of the pertinent stuff that completely refutes your diatribe and take a cheap shot at someone's craftsmanship. I'm afraid you've failed Posting 101 for the semester. Here's the OP's original:
wrote:

Isn't that curious? He used a small ratchet, choked up on the handle, and drilled a pilot hole. What are you suggesting he did wrong - forget to pray?

I have a Fastenal very close to me. Is that a good place to buy screws, walk in? I was under the impression that they were more like a jobber service.
Speaking of which and talking about out side exposure, I have McFeeley non coated screws out in my front yard that I used along rail road ties to string Christmas light about 18 years ago. All are facing head up so water collects in the square drives. All are still in good condition.

Ace. Tru-Value. Do-it-Best. Any hardware store with old wooden floors. The quality of the fasteners is markedly higher at any of those places, and the selection usually much wider, than at any of the big-box stores.

Well I will have to disagree but not totally. There is an old hardware store in Nacogdoches TX, oldest town in Texas. The hardware store has wooden floors that roll and dip and squeek. They have old oak display counters and cabinets and if they dont have it, it probably can't be had, so to speak. They have the cheap stuff too.
Locally we have a hardware store that has been in business for almost 60 years and still family owned and run. It is centrally located between 2 HD's and a Lowe's. They beat their competition's price on same thing items and they some where along the way became either an ACE or Tru-Value. They have great stuff, great service, and stuff they steer "me" away from the crap that they also have.
" Real" hardware stores have crap too.
Perhaps a "real" hardware store has employees that know their product.
I use the local farm supply stores or hardware stores for most of that stuff. Usually cheaper too.
SMS wrote:

called one of the suppliers for a specialty screw and asked them about where their products are made, you can guess what his reply was. He also told me that there is not any fasteners made in the US anymore. Unless it's made for the Military.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"