Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 3 of 8

Oh no.... not at all.
Leon wrote:

You're sure?
FWIW, my neighbor asked me and another neighbor to hang her new LCD TV set, using an arm bracket. Without going into detail, we needed (4) 1/4" X 6" lags to get the job done really solid. I sized the pilot hole myself, using the MK22 eyeball device in my head, and by the way, the hole was drilled with a 5" long bit.
2 of the blasted things torqued off, meaning that we had to adjust the height of the bracket to remount it. They are a POS and it'll be a cold day in Hades before I use anything like that in a project.
--
Nonny

"Tom Watson" wrote:

SFWIW, I use 75% of fastener size for the pilot hole size rounded to nearest standard size drill which can be either fractional, letter, or number size.
YMMV
Lew
On 12/16/2009 03:21, Jon Danniken wrote:

Without having them tested how would you know? You are pretty much guaranteed that the fasteners you can buy there are the lowest quality they you can possibly buy.
You can get much better quality (and actually pay less) at industrial supply houses.

Which is the mantra of all predatory organizations. Even the parking at HD is ill-thought out.
--
EA

> You can get much better quality (and actually pay less) at industrial
.

That varies from store to store. The one closest to me is quite good as for layout. What is a PIA is that parking spaces have been getting smaller and smaller.When you pull in to a parking spot, in a Subaru Impreza, and have to be careful not to hit the car next to you with your door as you get out, it's getting a bit tight. The spacing between rows is getting smaller too. In my F250, I have to park out in "no mans land". I can see the day when it will be impractical to park anything larger than a motorized skateboard.

That also varies from store to store (they don't always own the buildings or the land). When I lived in VT I rarely went into the WallyWorld because the lot was crazy. HD shared the same lot but that end wasn't as busy so was less of a human obstacle course. Stores in NE OH had no such problems, nor do the ones here in AL.

Undoubtedly; I think that's the only place in VT where WallyWorld and HD share a parking lot. (I think the only other city with both stores is Rutland.) And yes, it's a horrid parking lot layout.
For those who are morbidly curious, the two stores are at opposite ends of this lot, which has unbroken lanes running from store to store with perpendicular parking. The two entrances/exits to the lot are at the corners where the stores and the parking lot meet, so that the only way to enter or exit the lot (by vehicle) is to drive along the fire lanes where other shoppers are trying to navigate to or from their cars. Why on earth they didn't have a single car entrance/exit lane across the middle away from the pedestrians is a great mystery to me.
Or, if you're a visual sort of person, see the madness from above: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wal-mart,&sl lD.441969,-73.120193&sspn=0.001819,0.003208&ie=UTF8&radius=0.08&rq=1&ev =zi&hq=Wal-mart,&hnear=&llD.441716,-73.12025&spn=0.001819,0.003208&t=h& z>
--
Andrew Erickson

Is there another HD in VT? Didn't the Rutland HD close?

KeithW and krw are the same person. Well, as much as anyone at home and work can be the same. ;-)

Too easy.

And why not angle parking, straight in parking does not save any more space as you need wider lanes.

I hope you're kidding, but I suspect you're not.
I have tried it. It's a non-event.
How far out of your way would you be willing to drive, in order to avoid having to turn your steering wheel in certain ways because of the way a parking lot was designed?

Your usual vehicle is a long van?

Smitty Two wrote:

No, an 1/8" is actually too small for a 1/4" (size 14) screw:
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/woodscrewpilotholes.htm
Jon

You are right -- they are not tapered. Heh, you just may grasp climb cutting sooner than I predicted!
The root diameter on a 1/4" lag is almost exactly 3/16. A 1/8" pilot would cause about 1/32" (.032) compression, "on the radius" -- which, if too much, is a whole lot better than *no pilot*, which is what proly 95% of people do.
Proly the pilot size would depend on the wood and on the grain orientation, as well. But as I think about it, and look at a lag bolt, mebbe a pilot closer to 3/16 than 1/8 IS appropriate, esp. for long lag bolts. Mebbe 11/64.
--
EA

Smitty Two wrote:

Bah, it was I who needed more coffee. What I meant to say was that 1/8" is actually too *large* for a 1/4" (size 14) screw.
Of course, that is for a wood screw, which I do realize now uses a slightly smaller hole than does a lag screw.
Jon

McFeeley's is good.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like a store that sell adult........never mind.
TDD