Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Of course not. It's like any other business: having machinery down costs money. At harvest time, a down machine can cost _a lot_ of money.

Reply to
Doug Miller

WTF is a "proly"?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Any real hardware store.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use the local farm supply stores or hardware stores for most of that stuff. Usually cheaper too.

Reply to
RonB

And there are liability issue concernes. A good mechanic will use grade 8 or better so that when he is preplacing a bolt it is at least as strong as the original. I was stocking grade 8, 30 years ago for automotive repairs at an Olds dealership.

Reply to
Leon

Proly = Probably, What is WTF? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I keep seeing this answer.... what does that mean exactly? Not piling on you but what exactly defines a "real" hardware store, and does that guarantee that the "real" hardware store will also not have crap?

MeFeeleys is generally considered a reputable source for fasteners, I agree for wood screws and graded nuts and bolts however I have bought some pretty cheesy ungraded machine screws from McFeeleys, I have had several break from 100 pack box.

I also agree that the big box chains are probably not the best source for screws but if you buy name brand screws from those stores you are going to get better quality. While I steer away from prepackaged plastic bags of screws from those type stores I have never had a problem with larger bolts and lag screws providing they had proper sized pilot screws.

Reply to
Leon

McFeely's may be a great source, but sometimes you need fasteners NOW. Not tomorrow.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What is WTF? ;~)

Among other things, it's a blanket:

Swingman

will have to stir the s__t, I'll be sure and show her. Maybe not, now that I have had a few seconds to think about that. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I really doubt that you can these days since they're all made in CHINA. I called one of the suppliers for a specialty screw and asked them about where their products are made, you can guess what his reply was. He also told me that there is not any fasteners made in the US anymore. Unless it's made for the Military.

Reply to
evodawg

For many years now I have been buying from McFeeleys, but only to restock what I have used from my inventory. I typically order 500-1,000 screws from them once or twice a year. MUCH handier to have it on hand that to go the store and buy them and are typically better quality.

Reply to
Leon

ACE (San Jose off Alma), TruValue (Cupertino), Southern Lumber (San Jose off Almaden), or the contractor's lumber yard (Pine Cone?) in Sunnyvale off Maude will have the grades and knowledgeable employees necessary for one-time purchasing of quality products...

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

My two-time experiences with McFeeleys has been very positive. Prices, while generally higher, are not painful and the products that I've purchased were exactly what I needed. Unlike the machine screws that I'd purchased prior from OSH (a formerly GREAT hardware store but ruined by Sears -- a curse from the gahds on that corporate bastion of greed and averice) which sheered with the slightest pressure making a simple job not, I'll order from McFeeleys when I'm able to plan a job out.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

I called McFeelys and all Fasteners they sell are made in CHINA

Reply to
evodawg

The screws I ordered from McFeeleys and had problems with were 1/8" machine screws and that was 10+ years ago and they were not graded. When in doubt give them a call, they will not steer you wrong. I did not need a quality fastener at the time but was surprised that they were no better than the typical no name Borg screws.

I do like McFeeleys, I have probably 2-3 thousand of their wood screws on hand at any particular time.

Reply to
Leon

I had the same experience. I have never been disappointed by their regular screws, but I did get a crappy box of dowel screws from them once. I called them on it and they offered me the opportunity to return them at my expense. ( I was underwhelmed).

Buyer beware. Just because McFeeleys stocks it, it does not make it quality.

Reply to
StephenM

I have had a lot of problem with Hillman screws and fasteners breaking easily. HD has a lot of Hillman product on the shelf.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Precicely, you can generally rest assured that if their fasteners claim to be hardened or graded they will be good, if not, it will be iffy.

Reply to
Leon

In the little town I live in, it's "Fred's Bolts Nuts & Tools". Any threaded fastener you want and more of high quality.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn