Home Bar Project Completed

Page 1 of 2
The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures at www.howardboehm.com any comments are appreciated. Scroll down to the bottom to see the final photos. We have already put it to good use. Photos from begining to end.

Very nice work, Howard..
Just how BIG is the room it's in??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The room is about 22 x 22

Nice size room! In the pictures it looks truly huge, though..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Looks totally elegant. You documented it well. I felt like I was building it along side of you. (I'm tired now)
If you don't mind, how much did this cost you in terms of both money and time? That granite bartop is definitely unique.

The home bar I am building is complete. Check out the final pictures

The granite slabs (2) were 2000 total labor to install granite 2500 balance of cost on bar was approx 4500 which included the beer and beverage cooler witch holds 12 cases. Time wise it took about a month to build with actual hours of about 120

Fabulous! Really well done. I often sell bar-tops, and sometimes I commission a complete job..... and this is as nice a job as $25K+ will buy around here.
The true test would be if it holds me up at the end of a tasting session.
rrrrrrrr
Howard wrote:

Great looking project.

Good job Howard!
Very nicely done. I like the design of it a lot.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I did too. He should put mirrors behind the booze to make it appear he has double the supply.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Apr 23, 12:30am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Dont need the mirrors have more below and my friends would never leave if they thought I had that much booze
On Apr 23, 2:30 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Hey.. I like your thinking.
Or wait.... maybe he should just double his supply and invite us all over to break it in!
Robert

happy hour was.
Howard wrote:

Howard, you do very, very nice work! The other projects are terrific, as well, from both design and execution standpoints.
Without prying too much, what do you do for a living?
Your projects, as well as the extra effort of documenting them, show significant time and material investments. Most folks have either one or the other at certain times. Having plenty of both makes you a lucky man!

I own a Property Management company. As far as time, I work one or two hours in the morning when I get up and a few hours when I get home, When I do get to a point where I need to dig in I do have the luxury of taking a day or two off. As far as the extra effort I believe if this is your hobby and there isnt a deadline why not make it special. My wife helps alot and works along side me on a lot of the projects. When I get tired and want to take a short cut to just get it done she is the one that reminds me that I like to make it special. In the bar I was only going to curve the one end and she was the one that convinced me that both ends needed to be curved. I knew that so it was back on the table. All of the projects are build without any plans, just an idea in my head and it evolves from there. I am amazed when it all comes out as well as it does. I always try to out do myself on the next project. The next one has to be better than the last. My wife encourges me to get the right tools to do the job and I fully take advantage of that. My true hobby isnt woodworking it is tool buying. I have a sign in my workshop that say " I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." That said I am going to look for the next tool I cant live with out.

I don't want to make too much out of it, but that being the case, you have a gift. If you can design and build something with the design and the finish detailing without help or assistance and no plans, you have a unique talent. Especially if it isn't your normal line of work.
I think that makes it all the more special.
Robert
Howard wrote:

You're efficient!
The reason why I asked is that I know some folks who work schedules like 8 on, 6 off, so the ol' woodworking moves quickly.
I find it hard to work wood in short spurts, so I tip my hat to ya'.
Wow!!!
Renata
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Howard

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Howard

Very nice work!
Did you build the items while the house was being constructed? Looks like that was the case.
Frank

no, built them after we moved in. if you look at the photos on the bar you can see the extent we had to go to to make sure there wasn't any overspray or leakage into the other rooms. completely isolated the area of the bar to spray it out.