Holy Shipping Rates, Batman!

A Grizzly G0555 bandsaw ships for $69.25 plus a $4.25 fuel surcharge. Not bad at all for a 210 pound shipping weight.
Most of the comparable bandsaws on Amazon ship for $99. Again, not bad when you consider the weight.
Okay, so I was checking out the Shopfox 14" bandsaw, which is essentially a Grizzly G0555 but with cast iron wheels, so it's a little heavier.
The shipping quotes I got from the dealers I found ranged from $166 to $342! The $342 quote is from a dealer in NY. I live in NM.
Holy Shipping Rates, Batman!
Me thinks I should take another look at that Grizzly!
Jack
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

Grizzly has some special rates with carriers. The quoted rates may even be subsidized a bit too. They are really quite a bargain. In reality, the $342 rate from MY to NM is about right for a common carrier that does mostly LTL moves. We can often get a backhauler to do a shipment (we pay for the entire truck) for less than a common carrier will move 6 pallets for a few hundred miles.

You've used the acronym LTL several times. I've done a lookup on <http://www.acronymfinder.com and it comes up with several possible applicable meanings. "Less than Total Load", "Less than truckload lot", or "Less Than Truck Load"? All kind of imply the same thing I guess. Or is it something else?

or
Less than truck load is correct. It's a general term referring to the motor freight/shipping industry refers to the shipping of objects larger than what UPS typically handles, yet not requiring a dedicated truck. I would guess that 98% or more of all LTL shipments are palletized.
-Steve
Stephen M wrote:

Or "LCL" back in railroad days - "Less than a CarLoad".
--
It's turtles, all the way down

That makes sense. Still, it seems like a lot. Shipping for a 1300 pound safe was on $332. I suppose it has to do with volume and, as you said, some special rates.
But given all that, maybe I should just stop debating the issue and buy the Grizzly. It's a good machine and with a shipping rate that low, I can buy lots of blades with the money I save!
Jack
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

All of which was the reason the FCC was formed. Of course it was the railroads that were doing evil then.

ICC of course. Too many years playing with RF ....
George wrote:

Holy "Beam me up, Scotty", I thought the Transporter was finally a reality. :-) I would assume that the transporter would be FCC controlled.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

I can see it now! Instead of receiving broken tools, you get something like a G1023 table saw with a Powermatic band saw head growing out of the table.
Barry
Then you have Amazon. Free shipping on my planer, which arrived in about one week in three shipments from two carriers with a combined total weight of around 500 lbs. They still had the best price I could find on the Delta 15" planer. Don't know how they do it.

I don't have my catalog handy, but I believe Grizzly also sells the ShopFox saws. At least I remember seeing the ShopFox name mentioned. I'd suggest getting their catalog, it's free and has *lots* more stuff than you can find on their website.
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog_requests.aspx
dcm
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote in message

At those rates, it must've cost them at least $1200 to get it to NY from China...