Holy heck--what do you use this beast for?

18" American Sawmill Table Saw
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/2203465994.html
This thing is HUGE. The smarter part of me knows this thing is more- or-less useless for a weekend woodworker but another part of me wants to buy it because it seems so cool.

To cut the body parts into little pieces making them easier to hide.

7-1/2HP? Yeah, I'd say it was useless, at least for this weekend woodworker.
That's Paul Bunyon's saw, the green "Babe" model.
Sonny
Darn, only a 16" saw blade on the 18" saw. I'd buy it if it had an 18" blade....
Might be for tapers. Odd.
Martin
On 2/8/2011 7:43 PM, busbus wrote:

It was built and designed for non-stop daily continuous use. This is a real piece of American history no longer built but still a really fine piece of equipment.
On 2/8/2011 8:43 PM, busbus wrote:

Here is a little history on the company with some more pictures...
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id6
They made "many" very large pieces of equipment.
On 2/8/2011 8:43 PM, busbus wrote:

Cool works... it would go well with my 36" Crescent bandsaw... ;~)
John

Depends on what you want to build as a weekend woodworker - for ripping 3" jarrah stair treads it'd be great! JP
In article <44cbe311-8b00-4b33-b23a-

It will swing a 3 inch wide dado and rip 4x4s. What's not to like about it? Big downsides I can see other than parts availability are that it needs 3-phase power (and lots of it) and blades aren't going to be cheap.
I suspect that it will either teach you proper technique or kill you trying though--with that much power it's capable of _serious_ kickback.