Hollow chisel mortise chisels...

So if you were to buy the BEST new chisel and bit set that you could find for you new benchtop mortiser with 5/8" shank, what would you buy???

I just picked up the Steel City one and from what little I played with it after assembly, it seems to be an outstanding machine. HEAVY!!! Bring a friend...it weighs in at over 100#

Also...what, if anything, would you/do you use for a lube/coolant/whatever? I've heard of people using router bit lube, but it's pure hearsay.

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

First off, like any other chisel, sharpen the one's that came with the machine or the ones you buy. It will work much better after you true the center with a cone shaped stone and put a smooth polish surface on the outer

4 sides.
Reply to
Leon

Clico (makers of Clifton Planes) produce the BEST.

Robert www.rlars> So if you were to buy the BEST new chisel and bit set that you could find

Reply to
Robert Larson

And Clico chisels would be available where? Online or only bric and mortar?

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

one internet site. I am sure there are others as well.

Any of our dealers can order them from us especially for you. If you have a favorite Ace, Do-It-Best, or True Value store that you like to shop at - they can order them from us as well. All are currently in stock.

635-7040 HOLLOW SQ MORTICE CHISEL & BIT SET 1/4" 635-7050 HOLLOW SQ MORTICE CHISEL & BIT SET 5/16" 635-7060 HOLLOW SQ MORTICE CHISEL & BIT SET 3/8" 635-7080 HOLLOW SQ MORTICE CHISEL & BIT SET 1/2"

Robert

Robert Larson

Wow - I'm sure they're nice, and I appreciate it when manufacturers or owners or retailers care what's going on in usenet discussions. But this set of 4 chisels would cost about twice what I paid for my mortising machine! (Delta 14-651, which came with 4 chisels that work perfectly well.) I definitely appreciate fine tools, and I don't mind spending money to get something that performs exactly like it's supposed to (i.e. LN or LV planes, good bandsaw blades, or nice router bits). But when the moderately-priced tool works exactly like it's supposed to, I can't justify doubling its price to have the best accessories. Maybe if I cut mortises all day long in a cabinet shop I'd feel differently, but my question to the OP is, what's wrong with the chisels that came with your machine? Have you honed them, tried them, and found them lacking? (Just assuming you haven't worn them out yet, and that you're not a professional mortise-maker... Please disregard if my assumptions are wrong) Hey, if spending money is your thing, go for it - I'd be pretty curious to see an objective review by a weekend woodworker comparing decent stock chisels to really nice aftermarket ones. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

No, there is nothing wrong with the chisels that came with the Steel City machine...I was, more than a little surprised to see just how good they were straight out of the box...I literaly had to do nothing to the chisels to cut my first mortise. I do also know that as good as they may be, there WILL be better and if/when I do need to replace them, I will at least think about going high end on the new ones.

My father taught me the line about crying once when buying tools.

And I learned it well.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's