Hole spacing

Page 6 of 6
Remember when we were bums, together?
------------ "Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured out how to space the holes.
--
Gerald Ross

Be nice to your kids. They'll choose
Exactly? Six 3/4" holes on a 6" stick equally spaced? Want 1/4" of stock between tangent of hole and end of stock on both ends? Then locate hole no.1 with its center 5/8" from either end, (that is the 1/4" space + 1 radian (3/8") of the hole diameter = 5/8) That leaves {6" - 2(5/8") =} 4.75" of space to split up 6 ways. Spacing = L/(N-1), where L = length of drilling space & N=6. So 4.75"/ 5 = .95" Centers for holes = .95" Now How? Use fence on the drill table; let hole no.1 start its center at 5/8" from the end of stock. Clamp in place against an end stop. Scribe nothing; hitting a scribe line = .010" error minimum. (Also true of lasers, sharp pencils, knife lines or chalk.) Make an accurate .95" spacer, easiest choice = garden variety Adustable Parallel. Drill hole no.1, move stop x .95" (step & repeat), butt work against new stop position, clamp & drill hole no.2. Iterate for a total of 6 holes. Tangent of last hole will hit 5/8" from opposite end of stock; all holes equally spaced http://patwarner.com/drilling_lessons.html

> Larry Jaques wrote: >> >> You haven't read _The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove_ (or any book by >> Christopher Moore) yet, have you?
Just to let you know Larry, I did read a few pages of this book at Amazon.com. The author seemed to make effective and interesting use of imagery, clearly distinguishing the book from those in the "pulp fiction" category.
Surely it must be better than the "Drawing with the right side of the brain". I admit I only got about 100 pages into that one before I found a replacement ("Lifelike Drawing with Lee Hammond"). It has its own methodology too. It is very "gride based" with a lot of emphasis on how to produce realistic shading (but I didn't realize that when I bought it). I guess you take a little from here, and a little from there, and you do what you do. Yes, you can quote me on that... :)

They just get better and better as the pages progress, too.

...or the Trash Romance category.

Uh, right. Roger, wilco, and out.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
Larry Jaques wrote:

Well, Lust Lizard sounds pretty, errr, romantic... I'm not sure I'm ready to find out yet what it is doing in Melancholy Cove. It must really be something special though because the author has alot of titles to his name! Me, I struggle to write a lot as a single word...

For the record, lust isn't romantic, it's primal. Go for the gusto! Hump that gasoline truck! (Oops, mustn't let out secrets.)

Like Native American myths/stories? Read _Coyote Blue_, too. Just don't read Moore's books in public, unless you can handle the stares when you burst out laughing, wherever you happen to be.

I can't imagine our Bill obsessing over any little thing. I really can't.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
Larry Jaques wrote:

I was using a euphemism ("the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt"). I just looked it up to double-check! ; )

Oh no! The lizard may have escaped!!!

Me? You should see the Bill from the A/C guy who soldered a pinhole-leak for me last month! I don't need to make this stuff up...
BTW, I go as 'Bill' so that I blend in anonymously sort of like a chameleon. Don't blow my cover, or I'll change my name to Gill or something else I can remember. Do you remember the movie which featured the real Gill?

Sure don't. Was he a wooddorker?
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
Larry Jaques wrote:

Bill starred in it in 1991.

Nope, still went PSA on me, but I don't want you to blow your cover.
(PSA was an airline, airplanes go over our heads.)
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
Larry Jaques wrote:

I was just kidding about blowing my cover. But if I create too many sparks with my electrical questions, and I return as Gill, then at least you'll know it's me!
By the way, 'Gill' was the name of Bob's goldfish in the movie "What About Bob?" (starrring Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss). I only intended it as an amusing trivia question. :)
That reminds me of the time my parents went away for a weekend get-away, during which the 40 gallon fish aquarium on the 2nd floor sprung a leak. All of the water leaked out, severely damaging the ceiling below...and the fish... :(

What was the hole spacing where the water went through the floor?
------------- "Bill" wrote in message That reminds me of the time my parents went away for a weekend get-away, during which the 40 gallon fish aquarium on the 2nd floor sprung a leak. All of the water leaked out, severely damaging the ceiling below...and the fish... :(
m II wrote:

Like a softpoint bullet, nothing like the one where it came out.

Y'know, I just caught that Subject again and realized how well the book fits it. We're full circle and back on topic!