Hole spacing

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it or whatever it's called.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Except that it's .140xxx". LOL

Reply to
Swingman

If you are using Eternal September, it is a text only newsreader, you can't get binary newsgroups.

Reply to
willshak

Getting older each day, I simply got damned tired of rebuilding the wheel every time I needed to _quickly_, and evenly, space slats between table or chair legs _without fuss_.

... and without putting the decimal place in the wrong spot. :)

So I sat down, expressed how I came up with a solution algebraically each time I had to do it, and in less time that it takes to tell, and put it in a spreadsheet.

It's called making technology work for you ... when you get old enough to experience old timer's disease, you'll understand, you young whippersnapper!

Reply to
Swingman

I used to work designing and creating artwork for business forms. If they were to be run through a computer printer they had to be designed and created with precision. I still have a number of forms design rulers that have scales in various inch units such as 5/32", 5/64", 1/12", 1/6", 1/3",

1/10", 1/5", all the regular multiples of 1/32" common most rulers in addition to metric. Spacing in typesetter's points where 72 equal one inch, with scales in units such as 5 pt, 5 1/2 pt, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 16 point multiples.

I find that these scales are valuable in woodworking as one can find a scale to fit any need, plus they are stainless steel and almost indestructible.

Reply to
EXT

Huh? What did MKS/FPS have to do with Hubble's mirror shape?

Strawman. An inch is defined as 2.54cm.

The one the tools use. The problem is that we now have both. I can work with either but where both is required is where the mistakes are made.

Reply to
krw

te:

It doesn't. That's one of them there scientific old wives' tales, as related by our resident old wife.

RicodJour

The problem there is clearly not due to the use of the metric system, but to trying to mix the two.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Some people just cant do the math and since that is what this OP was about... Doug rules supreme.

Reply to
Josepi

FARK! Maybe I do need a spread sheet.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Leon

Where do we send the BD cards?

Reply to
willshak

Each of us would prefer money! ;~) Four of us have birthdays beginning and ending 8/22 and 8/27.

Reply to
Leon

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned (unless I missed it) the old trick of using a ruler, selecting a number of arbitrary evenly spaced markings corresponding to the number of holes needed, then angling the ruler diagonally across the workpiece (or on a bench where the workpiece is laying, if necessary) until lines drawn perpendicular to a line parallel to the holes match up with the selected ruler marks. No math or arithmetic necessary. Unfortunately easier shown than explained, but some older woodworking books have pictures of the technique.

Reply to
Larry W

Let;s add the complexity of working in a foreign language or conversion to another measurement system to the guy that already has trouble with math!

More practical? A calculator.

Wot and idiot!

----------------

Reply to
m II

"Larry W" <

This method has been mentioned. The problem is that even though the hole centers are spaced equally the spaces between the holes differs. i.e. The space between the left border and the first hole as well as the space between the last hole and the right border are twice the space between the other holes. It's up to the OP to decide if that is acceptable. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured out how to space the holes.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

That was a damn sight easier to figure out ... just mark the profile of the biggest ass on a board, add two more just like it using the Sears catalog as a spacer.

Reply to
Swingman

Remember when we were bums, together?

------------ "Gerald Ross" wrote in message news:FPGdnQR_gefbh87TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... Growing up on the farm we only had a two-holer, but my grand-dad had a three-holer with a star cutout in the door. No idea how they figured out how to space the holes.

Reply to
m II

Lengthwise for spacing, widthwise for use, right?

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques