Hole spacing

Page 3 of 6
On 8/21/2011 10:17 AM, Swingman wrote:

ROTFLA,,,, It bites me in the ass every time! We have been cleaning dads house out for the last 4 days, 37 years of collecting.
Speaking of Bdays, my neighbor the computer guy's wife used to live in the same neighborhood as my dad, she lived in a 6 house cu-de-sak that was the end all to Christmas decorating. Any way her Bday is 8/24.
Leon wrote the following:

Where do we send the BD cards?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 8/21/2011 9:32 PM, willshak wrote:

Each of us would prefer money! ;~) Four of us have birthdays beginning and ending 8/22 and 8/27.

What is a.b.p.woodworking or a.b.o.woodworking? I look for binaries groups but see none
Pin

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you
Pin wrote the following:

If you are using Eternal September, it is a text only newsreader, you can't get binary newsgroups.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 10:46:19 -0700, Paul wrote:

No math required - just arithmetic :-).
If you want a 1/4" border at each end, the center of each of the end holes has to be 5/8" (1/4" + 3/8") from its end.
That leaves 4 3/4" between those 2 holes. In that space you have to put 4 more holes with 5 spaces between holes. 4 3/4" divided by 5 gives a spacing of just over 15/16" (4.75 / 5 = 0.95).
Since that doesn't come out even, you need to take the slop (1/16") and redistribute it to each end. So instead of the centers of the end holes being 5/8" from the end, they should be 21/32" from the end.
Or you could just ignore the slop and have one space be 1/16" wider than the others :-).
I hope you're aware that those holes are only going to have 3/16" of wood between each pair.

On 8/20/2011 6:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Actually a little less, 5/32"

Here's a way to do it by only actually measuring two points. The rest is mechaincal division.
SInce you're spacing 3/4' holes within 5 1/2 inches, you've already defined a 1/4" border on each end. The radius of your hole is 3/8". Thus, the centerpoint of each outer hole is 5/8" from the edge. Mark those points.
Now, draw a line though each point, parallel to the ends of the board. Since you're marking the center points of 4 holes and using the center point of the other outer hole as your terminus, choose a number easily divisible by five (like, oh, 7.5 or 10). Lay the zero point of your ruler on one line. Swing the ruler until your chosen number lies on the other line you've already drawn.
Then, just mark the correct divisions (1 1/2, 3... or 2,4, 6...) and you've marked the center points for the other four holes. Draw lines through those points and parallel to the ends crossing your center line, and you're done.
You can, of course, tell people how brutal the math was in calculating those points... but if you wanted to add the same dimension (x2) outside your row of holes as between each hole, the math is more than I want to deal with.

Equal divisions on a line using a ruler held at an angle. No calculation required. http://www.tpub.com/math1/19.htm and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYiDDjpWsuk

Online calculators: http://www.virginiarailingandgates.com/calculations.asp
There's an app for that: http://www.gabrioconstruction.com/BalusterPro/Home.html
On 08/20/2011 01:46 PM, Paul wrote:

You don't need math:
Set the ruler (or tape measure) on a diagonal across the piece so that the 6" mark is even with one end the 0" is on the other end. Mark off 1" increments on the diagonal. You can also use even multiples of the spaces needed, say 30" and mark off every 2" for 15 spaces.
John
On 08/21/2011 06:44 AM, John wrote:

Make that set the 1" mark at the first hole and the 6" mark at the last hole and the technique will count the number of holes for you.
John
On 8/20/2011 12:46 PM, Paul wrote:

And you thought this math problem was confusing was fore you asked? ;~)
On 8/21/2011 6:54 AM, Leon wrote:

Ah hum.... and you thought this math problem was confusing before you asked...
In typed:

Just about any free CAD 2D program will do that for you including Sketch-it or whatever it's called.
HTH,
Twayne`
On 8/21/2011 10:39 AM, Twayne wrote:

It's called Sketchup and I'm surprised Swing and Leon didn't mention it.
Simply draw a line the distance you want, "select" the line with the select tool (space bar), right click on the line and choose "divide" from the resultant pop up window. Move the mouse along the line and it will be divided into whatever number of divisions you want, and based on the length units you use(window/model info.) I use 1/16th's. The red dots show on the line, and the distance between the dots is given.
Once you have the right number of dots, click and it puts invisible markers (invisible until you roll over them) so you can do whatever you want with them, or just write down the distance and have at it.
For 6 holes in 6 inches you need 7 segments, and each hole will be 55/64's or 7/8ths. I can't see 64ths so 14/16th work fine for me:-)
The bonus is, since you are in a cad program, you can draw up whatever you want the holes for, and see what it will look like:-)
--
Jack
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Actually, that's where my two photographs came from in the links, and I'm sure Leon's pdf file on abpw ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/23/2011 6:08 PM, Jack Stein wrote:

Might want to reread the specifics, the holes have to be 3/4".
Leon wrote:

I haven't read all of the messages before this one, so please excuse me if this has been suggested. But why not build a *paper model* (you don't need high-power computer software for this problem). Cut out a 6" piece of paper and some circles (use a marker and color them black if it helps you see them). Then move them around until it looks right to you and then tape them in place. Then you have a model which you might use in any number of ways. I think more things have been built working like this than by designing with cad/cam software.
Bill