Hole Saw Mod Question

I'm anticipating having to cut out 32+ two inch discs with a hole saw out of 1/2" plywood. I know I can cut thru less about the thichness of a sheet of paper, then when I flip the wood over and drill from that side, the disk will pull out very easily, or even drop out on its own. However, I also know if I pull too hard on the hanedle here's a good chance I'll drill totally thru, and then the disc will be a PITA to remove.

I've been googling on this, but not found anything. So, I'm wondering if there is any "mod" I can make to the hole saw to make the disk drop out on its own, even if I drill totally thru the wood? I've been considering setting the teeth for a wider cut, but would like to know if anyone has successfully done that, or something else, that will work. I don't like the idea of ruining the hole saw for nothing. Any ideas that work, or am I stuck?

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

At 2 inches, some brands of hole saw have both holes in the side and the top that are exposed in normal operation - you'll have to compare brands available in your area.

Then all you need is a tool that looks like a 'cone wrench'/'pin wrench'/'angle grinder wrench'. A =====C shaped thingy with 2 dowels that fit in the top holes and are long enough to push the disk clear. That way you don't have to drop the hole saw out of the drill press or unscrew it from the spindle every time a disk jams.

regards Bruce

Reply to
BSRLee

No matter how you approach it, using a hole saw will be a total PITA using a hole saw.

If I understand correctly, you are trying to make 32 wheels, not 32 holes.

If so, I would consider cutting out square pieces on a table saw, then drill a 1/4" center hole.

Next build a fixture that has a 1/4" pin and will slide in the 3/4" miter bar groove of your router table up against a stop.

Place square piece on pin of fixture advance to stop, then clamp and rotate piece till round.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why not leave the first one in there and then it will act as a stop for all the rest.

Reply to
T McCoskery

Stack some fender washers on the drill bit and tape them in place. Or make a wooden spacer/shim to stop the travel of the cut out.

Reply to
Leon

I have cut a few 2 1/4 disks out of 1/4 plywood with a hole saw with the drill bit removed. I cut the disk and leave it in the saw until I get with in about 3/8 of the top of the slot in the side. I then turn off the drill press and use a metal bar (screwdriver) to push out the disks. Once the disks start to move on one side they come out with out much trouble. The whole process for 2 or 3 hundred disks takes less then an hour. If you leave the drill bit in the saw you will need to wiggle the disk from both sides, a little harder and slower but doable. I have tried springs, blocks, foamrubber and other ways to automaticly release the disks and and found that all they do is mess up the disk surface and cause the disks to go spinning around the shop. The problem I have found to be the worst is not getting the disks out of the saw but getting a smooth clean edge with out tearout. To take care of this I sand the edge of the disks using a phillips screwdriver run through a bout 2 1/2 to 3 inches of disks and spinsand then on the belt sander. Hold the screwdriver at about a 30 degree angle with you fingers holding the disk firmily in postion, if you feel a burning of your finger increase the angle to slow done the spinning of the disks.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

How about this

Reply to
Allen Roy

I think that's the way I'd do it too, except I'd hog out with a sabre saw or bandsaw and finish on the router.

Reply to
Tanus

Sun, Nov 4, 2007, 1:27am (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew=A0Hodgett) doth posteth: If I understand correctly, you are trying to make 32 wheels, not

32 holes.

Wheels? Wheels? Don' need no steenkin' wheels. No, I'm just after disks this time, which are no more, or less, a PITA than wheels would be. Your idea is not bad, but it inspired me with an even better idea. Cut squares, simple jig, trim squares to octagons. No hole saw, and answers my needs more nicely. Thanks Lew, never coulda done it without you.

By the way, my spellcheck shows that " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" should be " snipped-for-privacy@earthling.net". LMAO