Holder for coasters

When giving away coasters I made, they were usually just tied into a set with ribbon or burlap twine. However, for more special occasions or people, I also made a custom coaster holder that entailed a bit of tedious work.

The holder was a "V-shaped" tray tilted at a 30 degree angle, made of walnut and doweled together. The tedious part was doweling the necessarily thin walnut pieces.

To begin, the walnut was ripped and planed to 1/4" thickness and sanded. The V was made of 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" widths, cut to the length of 6 or 8 coasters. The butted joint was glued with Tightbond and after it was dry, reinforced with (4) 1/8" dowels. The front of the V was supported by a 3/8" dowel turned from walnut (or purchased) blind inserted into a pocket in the bottom of the V to elevate and support it. The front and rear openings were closed with more walnut pieces. The front's piece was an oversized V to match the shape of the sides, but with rebated corners. Once glued in place and set, it was reinforced with (2)

1/8" dowels per side plus another at the bottom of the V running back to reinforce the 3/8" dowel in the pocket behind. (See below for how the doweling was done)

The rear piece was slightly taller than the front and the upper part was of a similar rebated shape. It was taller to support the back of the coasters, being tipped backward. Behind was a wedge-shaped brace in its center to further prevent it from tipping, along with a 4" wide square cut bottom to prevent side-to-side tipping. All joints were first glued, then doweled and sanded.

For drilling a 1/8" hole in 1/4" edge material, a typical drill and bit would not work. The slow speed of the drill would permit the bit to catch on grain and not make a hole where desired OR to drift off as it got deeper. I had two solutions and both worked well. The first was to use an air powered right angle drill cobbled together from an angle grinder and a Jacob's chuck. The other was to use a Dremel mototool with an 1/8" collet to hold the bit. In both instances, I tried using both a typical twist bit and an augur-type bit. The lead point on the augur-type bit helped some, but the titanium coated twist bit lasted much longer. The faster the drill bit turned, the more accurate the holes were.

Reply to
Nonny

Photo of coaster and holder posted to the binaries group.

Reply to
Nonny