Hock 'classic' vs. cryogenic irons

Has anyone who has used both comment on any differences?

Reply to
Gordon Airporte

I have a "classic" Hock iron in my #5 and it holds an edge very well. When I replaced the iron in #8, the local Woodcraft had a cryo, so I tried it. It holds its edge very well also, but I'm not convinced that the price difference was worth it. It is obvious that the cryo is harder when honing, but I'm not noting any substantial evidence of improved edge-holding.

Paul.

Reply to
Scarfinger

It's much harder, and will hold an edge far longer. I hated it though. It's much harder to lap and hone initially (several hours and a lot of elbow grease). I prefer honing withouht having to think about it.I'll never get a cryo blade again.

Reply to
DarylRos

Thanks guys. Somehow I hadn't considered ease of sharpening as a factor.

Reply to
Gordon Airporte