Hitachi or Freud - which one in the table?

I'll probably get as many opinions as there are people reading this, but what the hey. Maybe someone will come up with something I haven't thought of.

I have a Freud 2000E and a Hitachi M12V. I like 'em both. I'm ready to permanently mount one of them into a table. I've been using both of them in the table and handheld, and I like both of them for both uses. The Hitachi's lighter but I like the grips on the Freud, and the switch, and the plunge lock, more than the Hitachi. So I've pretty much decided to install a router raizer in the Hitachi and put that one in the table.

But before I do that, I thought I'd ask. Would anyone care to put forth any arguments for using the Freud over the Hitachi? Subjective counts, I guess. If you just LIKE one or the other in the table, and the other one for non- table work, I'd be interested to hear it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

The Hitachi's collet is well suited for use in a table (quarter turn to tighten and loosen, just like on a shaper). Also you can easily remove the plunge springs. And remove the handles while you're at it.

Reply to
AL

On Mon 06 Mar 2006 10:13:44p, "AL" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Well. Already there's one I hadn't considered. :-)

Yes, I was thinking I'd remove the handles.

I was also thinking I'd bend the wrench like they say in the online manual. I'm thinking maybe I ought to buy a spare before I stick it in the vise and crank on it, though.

Reply to
Dan

Dan,

I've had my Freud in Jessem Rout-R-Lift for over 3 years now and it's been a real work-horse. I removed the springs and the handles (ya gotta know the secret handshake to remove those handles though...).

I believe I purchased a bent--wrench from CMT's site. As I recall (check it) the Freud has a 27mm collet and CMT sold a 25mm bent wrench. It didn't take much to file/grind the wrench to the correct size.

One drawback to most routers is to enable the locking mechanism when they're mounted in a table unless they're purpose built for that. The Freud wasn't but about 3' of stainless wire cable from the borg and a couple of fasteners and I fabricated a cable pull that pulls the lock into place. A small spring attached to the cable pulls the lock back to the unlock position. So I pull on the cable with one hand to lock the collet and use the bent wrench with the other to loosen the collet. Freud uses a 21 step collet so it takes several turns. That may be a minus in most peoples mind but it's hard to have a bit climb out of the collet with that setup too.

The Freud is mounted inside a box beneath the table that is the right wing of my Jet TS and I have a 4" DC hose connected to that. If you enclose yours, be sure there is sufficient holes in the box to allow for air flow through the box so it can clear the router and the chips. The routers internal fan is blowing air towards the bit and the DC is sucking so you have a bit of a fight going on but with the right DC or shop vac setup, it works fine. I built a router fence that Pat Warner designed about 4 years ago and was a featured article in FWW. It has an attachment for a shop vac hose and works very well.

Don't be afraid to experiment to get the setup right for you. Almost forgot.. The bottom plate of the Freud needs a bit of metalwork ground away to allow that bent wrench to work properly. You'll note that the bottom opening is half-round, half-square. The flats needed to be ground open. Don't worry, plenty of metal there to work with and it doesn't weaken the base plate.

With all the above said....and mine is a nice setup now... I would not go thru the hassle again. To many routers out there these days that are designed for being table mounted. Only reason I would change now is if my Freud burned out or wasn't repairable for some reason but I like the configuration and it's easy to work with.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

On Tue 07 Mar 2006 11:47:09a, "BobS" wrote in news:xGjPf.5622$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

Thanks Bob, thanks Al.

So, it looks like I go with my first thought, and install the Hitachi. Partly because I prefer the Freud for handheld and partly because it just looks like less work. :-)

I was going to order the Xtreme Xtension and thus avoid all that stuff with the bent wrench and collet lock, but decided at 70 bucks I could wait till the next woodworking show. I think I'll use it a while and see if I can come up with a cable-pull arrangement like yours, Bob. I've already got a mechanism in mind for the plunge lock.

I appreciate the help.

Dan

Reply to
Dan