Hitachi M12V Sticking

I just received a Hitachi M12V from Amazon and am shipping it right back. I'm very disappointed because I've heard mostly glowing reviews of the tool; great value, etc. Some of the reviews talked about the plunging mechanism sticking/being stiff. If it was just stiff I figured it would be fine because I planned to use it in a table most of the time. But with the one I received the problem is clearly that the threaded rod is rubbing the body of router. If forced the rod acts like a file on the body producing fine aluminum filings. If not forced the lock lever can be disengaged and the router body doesn't move at all. I removed the rod and things seemed fine. Was this a severe version of what others have experienced or do some also only have problems with stiff springs, etc. I would expect a tool of this size to feel stiffer than my 690/693 plunge base and it did without the rod in place. Either way, I think now it's a tool I'd want to see in person before trying again.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Vidler

Sounds like you got a "drop" model. Any damage to the packaging?

Reply to
George
[snipperized]

That's a piss-off, Jim. I have bought 5 of those by now (2 recondioned)... 3 for the shop (the business I sold in anticipation of retirement...yeahhh right...) and 2 at home. Never a problem. It's shipping thing, and certainly not indicative of the router's ruggedness or performance. I suggest to give Amazon another shot, cuz I know you'll be happy with the router.

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

I have two and the last was from Amazon - no problems here. Yours might have been bounced along the shipping route. A GREAT router, IMHO.

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I received this same router for Christmas. I don't think your problem is a more severe version of reported problems. It sounds like yours was, as other's have suggested, dropped. The plunging was a bit stiff when I first pulled the thing out of the box, but it quickly loosened up. It was nothing like the problem you describe. Mine too was ordered from Amazon. I have had no problems and love the router. I have used it in my table and "freehand."

Brian

Reply to
Brian and Brenda Mahaney