Hitachi M12v question

My only router is a Bosch 1617EVS in my router table. I have been looking for a second base for it on ebay, but they rarely come up, and when they do they sell for over retail. Go figure.

Well, at the moment a Hitachi M12v router is only $20 more than a Bosch RA1166 plunge base! So, I was thinking of buying the Hitachi and putting it in my table instead of the Bosch. Although I have read that plunge routers don't belong in tables, I have also seen several threads here about how great the Hitachi is in a table; right? I have never actually needed a plunge router, but I would always pull the Hitachi out if I found a need.

Questions:

1) The Hitachi has some sort of adaptor for 1/4" bits rather than a collet like the Bosch. Does it work alright, or will I be cursing my decision every time I use it? (Sadly, I have a bunch of 1/4" bits from when all I had was a 1/4" router)

2) Does this plan make sense? Any criticism (other than "get a backbone and make your own decisions, you wimp") would be appreciated.

Reply to
Toller

Has a collar, versus a collet, but no great problems. Joy of a router table is that you can do heavier stuff - which uses 1/2" shanks.

I've been happy with mine. Take out, bag and save the springs, and you might consider the Lee Valley plate. Slick and easy, but proprietary size inserts.

've a 1617 and a 1613, myself.

Reply to
George

After extensive searching, I settled on the Hitachi M12V and ordered it from Amazon today. There is a $25 rebate on Hitachi tools ordered before Dec 31. That brings the $159 price down to $135. Shipping/Handling is free. Yesterday (Friday) the price was at $151. Little did I realize that was a single day sale price. Apparently Amazon has Friday sales, and some are quite nice. I almost bought the router yesterday but hedged.

My Makita has a bushing that slips inside the 1/2-inch collet to handle

1/4" shafts. It works fine.

When you think about it, there are many routers on the market. Every one has a different gimmick to make it "better". Well, a router is no more than a motor, a method to hang onto the motor and a thing to keep the bit attached. Get the Hitachi and have some fun. It's going to work just fine. Except for one's opinionated spouse, nothing is perfect and life is too short to really care.

On Sat 27 Dec 2003 10:19:24a, "Toller" wrote in news:giiHb.36063$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Seems like I've heard the 1/4 adapter for the Hitachi has had its problems. Lemme see here... google, rec.woodworking, "hitachi" "1/4". Ah. Yep, some people have gotten downright angry with that collet. Others haven't had trouble.

That being said, I bought one anyway. I've got several 1/4 bits myself but I figured I could use them in the Freud, and I also figure it's a good idea to use the larger shank in a table anyway. Bits get dull and need replacement, maybe the newer models have a better collet, maybe I won't get a bad one, etc, etc. For that price, I can rationalize pretty good.

That's what I'm gonna do. 'Course, that doesn't really tell you whether it makes sense or not, just that you have company. :-)

Dan

Reply to
Dan

It comes with a 1/2" collet and an insert for 1/4" bits. Do not, under any circumstances, use the 1/4" adapter. I have this router in a table and it does a great job with 1/2" bits, but the 1/4" adapter just will not hold.

Check out

have used this router in a table for the last few years and have been quite well pleased with it. The link I posted shows some modifications you can make to make it a better performer in the table.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I have a 15amp freud router with a 1/2" collet and a 1/4" sleeve adapter. it works fine, although I do tighten it a bit more when I use the sleeve. you might want to look for a generic sleeve if the hitachi one has grip problems. Bridger

Reply to
nospam

I have an M12V in my table and have never had a single problem with anything about it. The 1/4" insert works fine if the bit is inserted to a respectable depth and tightened. You will not regret this purchase.

Dig

Reply to
Digger

That has not been my experience. I have had the M12V upside down in my router table for several years and have found it extremely reliable with 1/4 bits. When you use the insert, you just have to make sure the gap in the insert is lined up with the gap in the collet. Tighten and you're on your way. I haven't had a 1/4 slip since I started lining up the gaps (it's in the instructions).

Two things that have enhanced the M12V/Router Table experience... I bought the PlungeLift from woodpeckers, love it. Second, get the bent wrench for changing bits, and you never have to pull the router out of the table. I got mine at Mark Sommenfeld (sp?), but I think you can find them at other places.

HTH

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

What he said. LINE UP THE SLOTS! Then it works like a charm.

Reply to
Hitch

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt, shrank it in the wash and gave it to my little brother.

I think I am going to buy a replacement 1/4" adapter and try it again. I tried lining up the slots, but it didn't seem to help.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin