hitachi finish nailer

so perhaps I'm being anal about this, but I just got an hitachi nt65ma2 finish nailer. nice gun. 2-1/2" 15 g. angled nail, lightweight and powerful. it takes oil, and hitachi makes a bit of a big deal about not running it dry. the case has a slot for a bottle of oil, but no bottle of oil was supplied with it, and the slot in the case is slightly too small for any of the bottles I've been able to find so far. most of my guns are senco and oilless, so bottles of air tool oil aren't necessarily something I'm likely to have on hand anyway on a trim job. I'd like to find a bottle to live in the case with the gun. anybody else out there have this gun and found a solution?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I would inquire why there is a slot and you did not get any oil.

Reply to
Leon

there are several oddities within this case. the gun came with 2 allen wrenches. there are two spots that make sense as clips to hold an allen wrench. however, neither of the wrenches fit there. the list of things that is supposed to be included with the gun includes the wrenches and they do fit the gun, and the blow molded case is definitely specific to this gun. the list of stuff that is supposed to be there does _not_ include a bottle of oil, but there is a slot that would be perfect for a bottle of oil if I had one 1/4" or so smaller in diameter than any I have found so far.

I suppose a call to hitachi may yield a few clues- maybe even a free bottle of oil if the droids are feeling generous that day.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

I would call, it sounds like some one may have opened the box of several models and got parts mixed up.

Reply to
Leon

I bought one of these a few years ago. Very handy for pinpoint oiling.

Upscale

All of my guns except a couple are old enough that they all require oil. I usually just buy a 4 oz bottle at my nail vendor and keep it in the truck. It is a good quality oil, so it invariably gets used for a lot of other things besides just the few drops at a time that go into the nailer.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's becoming more and more common- when I bought my contractor's saw from Delta, I got three allen wrenches that didn't get used for anything, but had to dig out a couple of really oddball sized ones out of the toolbox to finish assembly. That wasn't the worst part, though- the worst was them requiring, but not supplying, an 18mm wrench. Doesn't sound like a big deal- but I've got two sets of metric sockets and one set of wrenches, and they all jump from 17 to

  1. I also got the wrong set of fence bolts- they were for a cheaper model with stamped wings, rather than the model with the cast iron wings.

Seems like it's more confusion in the minds of the people making these things in 101 flavors than anything else. There were at least 20-30 possible combination options with the saw, and I'm sure they make them all at the same time. There's probably eight nailers coming off any given line as well, and a poor sod making $.50 a day trying to remember which plastic baggie goes in which case.

Or even just an empty bottle that will fit the case, eh?

Reply to
Prometheus

We have two of these guns and neither came with oil. We keep gun oil on hand and just keep it in a tool box.

If you look at the paperwork for this gun you will find that what is really recommended is an inline lubricator at the compressor which, BTW, nobody uses. Also listed in the accessories are two different oil feeders, nobody uses these either, and a 1L bottle of Hitachi gun oil. I don't think an oil bottle to fit the case is even manufactured by Hitachi. Also Hitachi recommends 5 to 10 drops of oil in the connector end of the gun twice daily if the inline lubricator is not available. If you use that much, in a couple of days you will have oil all over everything.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I guess those instructions were written for you. :-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I must not be nobody, 'cause I don't do my oiling inline. that's because I don't want to foul my hoses with oil- I have oilless guns too and I use the same hoses to spray finishes.

I don't think an oil bottle to fit the case is even manufactured

unfortunately, I suspect you're right.

sounds like a lot to me, too.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

We have the same situation with some guns that need oil and some that don't. Most of our guns are Senco models which don't like oil but we still keep oil around for the Hitachis.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.