Hitachi drill press any good?

The last time I was at Lowe's they had a floor model Hitachi 15" drill press for, I think, $199. Anyone know if this is a good machine?
Mike

If it looks like a tennis shoe, it is probably too early to tell if it is a good machine.

I have had one for about six months and is OK, but nothing special. The laser guide is not very useful.
Make sure you get all the accessories and manuals. This often get lost on floor models.

Sorry - you lost me with this comment.

Most all of the new model Hitachi tools look like the latest design in tennis shoes. The older models look "normal." If it is looks like a tennis shoe it is a new model and is not old enough to have a good track record yet.

... that would be a running shoe then..

The black and green stripey stuff ? I think you mean "Buck Roger's tennis shoes" !
They've lost at least one sale (mine) owing to that finish. I'm damned if I'm buying a tool that looks _that_ stupid. I'd rather paint it JOAT-yellow.
Recently bought a "floor model" 12" Hitachi Band Saw from Lowe's. Manual and miter gage were missing. Retail $269.00, bought for $150.00. Downloaded the manual from Hitachi site, bought a much better miter gage. Pleased as can be with the saw and the price :>) Bill

upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I've had this unit for about a year and am pleased with it. As one other poster noted, the laser guide is not very useful. Over all quality seems to be good.
--
WoodWizzard
Fort Collins, CO