Hitachi 15" Drill Press

I'm in the market for an inexpensive floor model drill press and have narrowed my selection down to the Grizzly G7944 (ready some good things about it here in the Wreck) and the Ridgid DP1550 (good review in FWW). I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the Hitachi B16RM sold at Lowes?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
John

Jay Pique

Anyone out there ever cut wood with one of these?

JP

************************************** Except for the fukup with the power washer.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Sure wood can be cut with a water jet. So can stone, stainless, etc.

The problem comes in when you need to buy the machine, it makes the scroll saw a lot more attractive.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Jay Pique wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying hardwood, why would you want to use a water jet cutter?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Because you can make intricate cuts exactly where you want them with a kerf finer than any blade could produce without regard to gnarly grain or knots.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I think you missed his point. Using water on dried wood tends to make it absorb water and swell. When it eventually dries out the cut will not be as nice looking.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe wood is somehow different, but all the waterjet cuts I've seen in thicker materials (over 3/4 or 1") start showing a wider, rougher kerf at the bottom.

Reply to
John T

I'm not sure I would, I'm just looking for information. Right now I haven't any plans or resources to purchase a water jet, but a couple of attributes make it sound appealing.

It's dust free, doesn't require sharpening and makes very narrow-kerfed cuts. Of course there are numerous disadvantages as well - like initial cost, quality of cut (maybe), cost of abrasive additives, filtration of water, etc....

Are they noisy? Can you straight line rip on them? Are they better than SawStop?!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

not sure if you would want too as the water and grit may screw up the wood or your finish. if it is thin it can be laser cut. I got my sign cut with a water jet it is pretty cool.

Reply to
Steve Knight

That is a function of how thick, how hard the material, how competent the operator and how much pressure your machine has.

Reply to
CW

The shop I am working in now has a water jet. Any place I had been before, we sent that work out so I only know this one machine. Yes, it is LOUD. The operator wears earplugs. I am often on the lathe about ten feet away. I don't need earplugs but I can't hear my machine. Annoying.

Reply to
CW

yes.

>So, Jay, help me understand. After spending several years air-drying

they are VERY loud. yes you can rip on them. you cannot attach a sawstop(tm) to them as they have no physical connection to a blade so there would be nothing to sense.

and the starting price on them is around $250k.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
Charles Spitzer