History Channel: Lumberyard

JAT had started a thread a couple of months back regarding this segment; it is going to be re-broadcast on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 at 10-11pm:

Modern Marvels - The Lumberyard. At the center of the American Dream is the home--and at the center of its creation or renovation is the lumberyard. We'll explore the options lumberyards provide for builders and renovators--from natural to engineered woods. We'll show how plywood and pressed woods are made, trace exotic woods to jungle and desert, visit a special lumberyard that deals in recycled and antique woods, and go on an underwater expedition as divers locate ancient logs buried in the Great Lakes and New Zealand. We'll see how

50,000-year-old ancient Kauri wood is "mined" from a bog and is now all the rage among those who live in mansions and travel on yachts. From the lowly 2-by-4 used to build a tract home, to a reclaimed set of historic planks used to make a million-dollar bar in a 5-star hotel, this eye-opening program hits the nail right on the head.
Reply to
pdavid

Where did you get this information? The History channel web site only goes to Jan 28, 2006?

Is that 10-11pm, Central, Eastern?

Reply to
Leon

Yeah.... we need to know this stuff. Seriously, can't watch it but sure would tape it. Don't give a crap about the lumber yards themselves but sure would like to see the salvage operation in process.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Fri, Jan 13, 2006, 8:20pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) curiously asks: Where did you get this information? The History channel web site only goes to Jan 28, 2006?

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about that too. I can check about a week in advance, but that's it.

I missed a show or two I'd wanted to see. So, I made up a list of thinks I like to watch, or at least check to see if they've got a show scheduled I want to see. Modern Marvels, Mail Call, Monk, Dirty Jobs, Monster Garage - you know, all the educational stuff. So, probably 2-3 times a week I go down the list, and then set my viewing schedule to turn the appropriate shows on automatically. Works out quite well, don't miss the shows now. Stuff like the Woodwright's Shop is set to come on automatically each week, so I don't need that one on my list. Now if they'd just start showing Junkyard Wars so I could get it without paying for an extra feature that I really don't want.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

TiVo rules...

I don't even have to know when or where it's on, and skipping commercials couldn't be easier. So good, that I'd rather let TiVo save it and watch it later, rather than watching live TV. In an hour, I can watch a one hour show AND a half hour show. Since I only watch TV for an hour or so a night, in bed, I can see more. If I fall asleep, I can quickly pick up where I left off tomorrow night.

I even got mine for free (including installation) by suggesting I was switching to the other satellite provider.

You really notice what a great product TiVo is when folks at work ask "Did you see that commercial...?" and the answer is "Actually, I haven't seen a commercial in months!"

Yes, I know TiVo keeps track of what I watch, but so what. If that gets us more "Mythbusters", "Megastructures", televised pro cycling. or wooddorking shows, and I can watch them all commercial free, so be it!

Reply to
Ba r r y

Hell, some of the content is so bad that the commercials are the only thing worth watching. I am particularly fond of the Vonage commercials, the "what's in your wallet?" cast of characters, and the FedEx one with " ... we don't get French benefits"..

... not that I would Tivo them.

Have Time Warner DVR, which is pretty much the same as Tivo. Be nice to record the Lumberyard program also (saw part of it by accident a couple of months back).

Someone please post a heads-up, because TW's crystal ball won't let us see that far into the future.

Reply to
Swingman

Did you have them hook up the dual in puts so that you can record 2 different channels at the same time?? I learned when I had DirecTV Tivo installed a couple of years ago that the installer was not going to hook up both leads untill I told him that I wanted both leads. I wonder why any one would not want both leads unless they are not aware that DirecTV Tivo offers dual recording for the same price. Oddly the regular Tivo does not yet offer dual chanel recording. Now if they could only get the programing to go past 2 weeks in advance.

Oddly we have styarted watching comertials a little bit again. We need to keep up with what's going on in the world. LOL

Yeah. WHO cares.

Reply to
Leon

DirecTV TiVo lets you record 2 channels at once and watch a previously recorded show at the same time. Basically you have your choice of 3 things to watch while recording 2 different channels.

Reply to
Leon

TW's DVR allows you to record two channels at once, but, and it makes sense I guess, you must be watching one of them.

Reply to
Swingman

So you know of what speak?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Yup! Dual Coax.

That would be nice, but it's still REALLY cool!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

My wife and I cannot imagine going back to not using a dual line in DVR even after 2 years. We became hooked Oct 31, 2003. Oddly my sisters and brother in-laws say that they do not watch enough TV to justify getting one. They spend $45 per month for satellite TV and sill not cough another $5 for DVR programming. I keep telling them they will double their moneys worth of programming if they hooked one up and used it.

Reply to
Leon

TV is mostly a vast wasteland of crap not worth watching but the DVR sure improves the quality of what I do watch when I watch it. I have a backlog of stuff from Modern Marvels, Science Channel, etc for the time I want to view. Well worth the couple of dollars more a month.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I grew rather fond of the Victoria Secret commercials a short while back. Well worth watching.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Know what you mean .. even at my age.

Actually, the thing that impresses me most about the current state of the commercial industry is the quality of the acting and the often offbeat, wry humor that is being written in.

The Vonage commercial, where the girl is talking in the foreground while the dork (husband/boyfriend?) is dancing in a room in the background, is a perfect example ... the expression on her face is Academy Award stuff.

... they do need to work on the _lyrics_ of their theme song though! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

At one point or another, I signed up for an e-mail alert of the programs on the History Channel. That's my source.

AFAIK, that's Eastern Standard Time.

Pierre

Reply to
pdavid

thanks

Reply to
Leon

On 1/17/2006 3:45 PM snipped-for-privacy@bw.edu mumbled something about the following:

I'm looking at my DirecTiVo up through 2/1 and no Lumberyard in the Modern Marvels. There's gasoline, gas tech, et tech, brooklyn bridge, b-2 bomber, secrets of soviet space disasters, engineering disaster, banks, oil file fighting, more earthmovers, cannons, dynamite, the stock exchange, demolition, salt mines, nature tech: lightning, wiring america, logging tech, deap sea exporation, but no lumberyard.

Good thing I've set a season pass, I'll eventually catch it.

Now to get the MVR working between my 2 DirecTiVos (each with over 100 hrs).

Reply to
Odinn

I found it. If you do a wish list and use the keyword search on Lumberyard it'll come up.

Reply to
Leon

There was a show on Logging the 16th, but I found it after the fact. Their TV schedule runs through 4 Feb right now but doesn't show anything related. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman