hint: the tablesaw doesn't go on the ice chest

Page 2 of 4

It must be failing eyesight. But I swore that everybody was talking about a CRAP machine. Oh well, I wasn't far off.
Lee Michaels wrote:

You weren't alone. :-)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
J. Clarke wrote:

I did a little googling and I did verify that there are CPAP machines that will do remote status updates via a modem and phone lines. However that is a long way from a state law that requires monitoring and pulling one's drivers license.
I continue to be amazed and amused by the various claims, mostly from the right, about how California regulates our life.
My wife's CPAP has an ethernet looking port on it. Maybe it could be true? I asked what it was for they they stated it was for updates.
J. Clarke wrote: <snip>

Yes, there is an ethernet port. Yes, the doctor can read your usage from the machine. Yes, the dispensary can apply updates.
There's not a lot of granularity to the data captured by the machine -- time is use is recorded, but it may only be that the machine was on X hours and X minutes during day X. Most likely, the doc is gonna say "Oh, you're getting an average of 7 hours and 35 minutes (to make up a number), and you're using the machine 99% of the time (i.e., almost daily). Keep it up."
And then they'll say, "Do you need any filters? You know insurance will pay for a new hose and headgear every six months? Oh, well if you don't want that, how about some new nasal pillows? Insurance will pay for those every three months!"
Occam's razor would suggest that the monitoring is most often used to keep you coming back, and to keep you getting billable supplies.
BTW, my weekends greatly skew my average daily use numbers!

They use hand saws. :-)
Luigi
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:31:29 -0800 (PST), the infamous Luigi Zanasi

Uh, how can a handsaw protect one from a feral tablesaw, Luigi? Feral saws are QUICK!
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Oh, F*ck
We had that conversation a LONG time ago. Let's not have it again.
A safety story (from a 50 year old who has his share of scars but all his digits):
My son is 14. When he was about three, we were sitting out in the back yard building a robot costume for him from a few cardboard boxes. SWMBO wanted to do some work so I handed her my Swiss Army Knife with large blade extended. She did some cutting of boxen (easily, as I know the most dangerous knife is a dull one. All my knives are kept SHARP.
Nick, the 3-year-old, reached over and started to grab the blade of the knife.
I don't know how I knew she was going to try to jerk it out of his closed fist, I just did. I seized her wrist and his simultaneously and said "LOOK at what you're about to do!"
She went white and let go of the knife at he same time I sunk a thumb into his arm and made him release his grip.
It's AMAZING what a quick hit of adrenaline can do.
Dave Balderstone said:

Damn, hooked another one. ;-)
Hey, it was slow so I thought I'd troll for a bit. I remember...

Bad things can happen so quickly, and with such good intentions. So you're cool under pressure. Good thing for Nick, eh?
I consider myself lucky that parents had little to do with my upbringing - I'd surely have not survived otherwise. Snakes, critters, tools, electricity, 150 foot trees w/antennas, bikes, cars, and women - all that boy stuff. Only the latter resulted in any permanent injury. Library good - average adult bad. :-o
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Women often wear skirts. When they drop something their conditioned response is to spread their legs and catch it on the skirt. Men do not wear skirts (except in Scotland and Greece) and their conditioned response is to put their legs together to catch it. Any man who has dropped a needle knows why the female strategy is superior.
There is a lesson here somewhere but damned if I know what it is.

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:07:57 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I don't. I spread my feet. It's easier to pick it up off the floor, when there is time to figure out the best strategy. This comes with fifty years experience with a soldering iron. ;-)

Wearing flip-flops quite a bit and soldering (yes, I do wear them when soldering... but they're usually safely tucked away under a table) tends to encourage the "just let it drop" response. :-)
Ethical question for woodworkers: If you just spent 8 hours tuning a plane and it drops, is it ok to risk injury to yourself to prevent injury to the tool?
Puckdropper
--
There are approximately 1 kind of person in the world.

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> said:

I'd say that's where the not-so-common common sense comes into play. If you can grab it at the handle or body and avoid the blade, do it, if not, don't. And if you're not sure, don't. Put a padded mat under your workbench.
Greg G.
J. Clarke said:

Well, the first lesson that pops to mind is to drop "something" in the lap of the next good looking woman you meet... ;-)
Greg G.

It is that someone has read Tom Sawyer. Or was it Huckleberry Finn?
Luigi
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:49:57 -0500, the infamous Greg

Right.
Bite your freakin' tongue, Greg. _Never_ give the gov't an excuse to take power or decisions away from you.
Think DARWIN! Survival of the fittest. Let the stupid ones kill themselves off.
-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Another strike, not sure I can land it however...

I do... ;-)
Greg G.
tool that can in any way injure.

I suspect that is exactly what the government will do someday. But not until they have over-specified a good safety feature into a $5,000 government kludged mess.
Be careful what you pray for!
RonB
RonB said:

Well, a determined nibble at best...
I was lurking around when the first protracted and heated arguments over the Saw Stop device patent holder soliciting government to require the installation of these device on ALL tablesaws was fresh.
It was a slow Friday night and thought I'd see how many took the bait.
Greg G.

Here in the US, our favorite prayer is called the Obama Prayer. Psalm 109:8".
"May his days be few; and may another take his office."
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs