hint: the tablesaw doesn't go on the ice chest

Page 1 of 4
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/11/13/20091113abrk-amputation.html
Right. It goes on the folding card table. Everybody knows that.
A plastic 5-gallon bucket works well too!
charlie said:

Ouch! Well, let's see... A finger tip costs $16,000 to re-attach. Down to the knuckle runs $27,000. What do you think this is going to cost?
I think the problem may have stemmed from what _was_ IN the cooler before he set the saw up there.
What, no pictures?
Greg G.

Many years ago my father told a similar story. A guy he worked with was using a table top portable saw and it fell off the table while he was sawing... He tried to catch it and sawed his fingers off during his effort. I never forgot that story and any time I used a small saw I clamped it down.
John
John Grossbohlin said:

Ouch again. The movie Sicko mentions a guy who committed an absolute cardinal sin while using a small saw and removed several fingers.
One thing I learned as a kid while using soldering irons and knives was to never grab for a falling tool that can in any way injure.
Maybe the Feds should require all saws to have a Saw Stop device installed.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

So, now the feds should tell me I can't use my non "Saw Stop" tablesaw 'cause I might hurt myself?
I wonder how they protect folks from their tablesaws in Cuba?
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Unless you are Cuban, who cares?
Lew
Doug Winterburn said:

One... two... three... Hooked.
(Look up to the arrow) ;-)
Greg G.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

You laugh. This is one reason why I am against tax-funded medical treatment--it gives the government an incentive to micromanage our behavior to control expenses. We're already starting to see some of this with seat belt laws and the like.

By keeping them too poor to own one.
J. Clarke said:

You have a point. But at the same time I appreciated the mandated _installation_ of seat belts. I used them day one (SCCA exposure), suffered the ridicule of rednecks by wearing them, but it saved me the trouble of having to hunt for adequate metal on which to mount them.
Of course, this wasn't a privately patented device being shoved down my throat by government, and was a fairly inexpensive add-on.
I didn't care for the their mandated _use_, however. Except, perhaps, for children.

That was my first thought too.
Greg G.

Doubtless, you'll see more of it as well, regardless of whether you get government control of medical treatment or not.
Rant mode ON. We live in a "Nanny State" with a bureaucracy that wants to exercise control over every minute aspect of our daily lives and fund their administration of these laws by fines, in the certain knowledge that most of us will break these laws. Increasingly draconian speed limits, workplace legislation, seatbelt laws, helmet laws, smoking laws, - the list is endless. I will never attempt to deny that all of these interferences do save or extend lives. So .........??? They have the right to define that for us because ...........??? Why not then take it to it's logical extension and ban everybody from getting out of bed in the morning. That will stop the road toll overnight. Stop workplace injuries and deaths, stop us from polluting the environment by burning fuel. No, they wouldn't do that, no revenue in it for the thieving bastards. We are legislating for mediocrity, the great Aussie tradition of ''ave a go, mate, " is now no longer acceptable. Someone might get hurt. Can't have that. Years back, when I started my earthmoving business, I would load up my 40 ton bulldozer on the float, and head off into the outback by myself, for three to four weeks at a time, often illegally transporting my machine at night between job locations. mainly digging gravel pits for road surfacing for outback shires. Sometimes 200 miles from human habitation.I slept under the stars in a swag, ate tinned food or game that I shot, and had 88 gallons of fresh water to last me for up to 4 weeks. If I injured myself and couldn't drive out, then I would almost certainly die. No phone, no contact with the outside world. Breaking lots of laws, but evryone turned a blind eye in those days, otherwise the job wouldn't get done. Them's the risks. I worked whatever hours I wanted, (Generally 18 hrs/day, on odd occasions, 36 hrs straight.) I had a ball, made a lot of money, got the job done and everyone was happy. Today, no-one is permitted to do that. I would need two escort vehicles, mobile accommodation, long distance comms, permits for everything imaginable, only move the machine in daylight, and work no longer than 14 hours in a day for a maximum of 13 days straight. - the list is endless. Those Shires would now be legally responsible to ensure that I complied with the regs.
Rant mode off.
I just poured a large Bundy Rum. Drank it. I feel better now : )
diggerop
diggerop said:

snip...
We're already there. And then some. One reason I want to move to a sparsely populated area. And as you say, it's primarily about revenue generation. I'm more of a Darwinian myself, as long as what I do doesn't harm others, or interfere with their land or rights - what few are left.

I'd join you, but if'n I started doing that at home alone I'd end up an alcoholic from watching the news...
Greg G.

There are already medical funding proposals in play to identify gun owners as engaged in dangerous activities so their coverage should be limited. If that succeeds how long would it take to move on to power tools? In terms of overall medical costs though there would very likely be more bang for the buck to stem provider fraud... it's far more rampant than you would imagine though the vast majority of it would never make headlines.
The recently released genetic study where they found that folks carrying a particular gene do 20% worse while driving is another slippery slope... They're probably the same population most likely to have shop accidents. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091028134637.htm
There may be a solution here... DNA test everyone and if you carry the gene you MUST buy a Saw Stop. ;~)
John
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Speaking of medical, if you're diagnosed with sleep apnea in California they require that your doctor monitor your CPAP over the internet to ensure "compliance" and if you aren't in "compliance" then they pull your driver's license because people with untreated sleep apnea are more likely to have accidents.
Since most cases of sleep apnea are detected by the patient who then goes to the doctor for confirmation, I wonder just how productive that legislation really is. I mean knowing that being monitored by the government for the rest of your life was a likely outcome, would _you_ seek treatment for it?
I think we need a Constitutional Amendment to the effect that "all legislation which is annoying shall be null and void, when there is question over whether the legislation is annoying, if the judge, clerk of the court, court reporter, or any single member of the jury is annoyed by it, then it is annoying".

Same deal with behavioral health... the centralized medical database will allow for data mining to identify people who are a threat to themselves or others... any kind of depression (post partum, loss of a child or life partner) or menstrual cycle mood swings could flag someone. With the result being restrictions on civil rights and privileges such as gun ownership, access to jobs, etc. Easiest way to not have this problem is to not seek treatment. Given that people have committed suicide with a bandsaw (recall that thread!) and nail guns, woodshop prohibitions could be targeted too. All kinds of slippery slopes with government monitoring... Orwell was wrong only in his timing.
John
J. Clarke wrote:

I do hope that you realize that this is absolute bull shit!!! Why do people make up this stuff?
BTW I live in California and I have sleep apnea and I have a doctor prescribed CPAP machine and it is not connected to the internet.
Dan

Further proof that the internet is the best possible source to spread lies at the speed of light.
RonB
RonB said:

I certainly was a better place when the domain of educators, scientists, and... er... MIL contractors?
Greg G.
Dan Coby wrote:

Perhaps I was misinformed. I asked of a manufacturer why on God's earth anybody would want a CPAP with Internet access and was informed that it was so that doctors in California could monitor compliance per the state law requiring that people who are not using their CPAP be reported. Perhaps the salesman made it up on the spot.