Hinges that will hold a cabinet door open at 180 degrees

I'm still planning a project to do with my teenage daughter. It is to be a mirror with storage for her various hair and makeup items. I originally envisioned what would essentially be a bathroom medicine cabinet with a mirrored door. I may still do it that way, as it would be simpler.
But I'm flirting with a different idea now: a cabinet the same size as I had planned before, but with the mirror inside it. There would be two doors side-by-side, each with perhaps three small "tool racks" on the inner side. These would hold makeup brushes and such. Perhaps a couple of them would be shelves with lips instead. With the doors open, the mirror would be visible and the "tools" would be accessible on the door racks.
I'm wondering if someone makes a hinge, preferably hidden, that has two "detent" positions; one closed and one open 180 degrees. The purpose would be to keep the doors from flapping around as she selects items from the racks.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 04:36:21 -0700 (PDT), Greg Guarino

Hidden, but no detent. However, the interleaves of the hinges tend to stop the doors from swinging freely in the wind. :) http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pb129&cat=3,41241
On 7/13/2012 7:43 AM, Dave wrote:

I had envisioned doors that would cover the edges of the cabinet box. The hinges shown seem to want an edge-to-edge arrangement, rather than edge-to-face. They also look like they require a two-level recess hole which might stretch my novice-level skills. Could be an interesting challenge though.

The Soss hinges Dave mentioned are very nice. There's usually enough friction that they tend to stay where you put them. I also doubt that picking up a makeup tool for a rack would generate a lot of lateral force. Women have fine motor skills. Try putting on mascara without poking yourself in the eye numerous times and you'll see what I mean.
On 7/13/2012 9:29 AM, RicodJour wrote:

The user is female, yes, but of the teenage variety. I think her motor skills, used with proper attention to the task at hand, are fine. The "attention" part is variable, though. The very least we can say is that objects in her vicinity sometimes suffer unfortunate "reconfigurations".
On 7/13/2012 6:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Not 180 but 150 and concealed (closed) w/o the need for the boring...
Not exactly svelte, however; you might poke around the site some more; they have quite a large selection (and I have no illusions I have any grasp of the full range of what you might find there... :) )
<http://www.wwhardware.com/xxi-surface-mount-concealed-hinge-laxx1/
On 7/13/2012 6:36 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Concealed rare earth magnets would probably hold the doors stationary where ever you want them to remain stationary.
On 7/13/2012 9:45 AM, Leon wrote:

+1
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Greg Guarino wrote:

One of the easiest hinges to install was knife hinges. All that was needed was a couple of saw kerfs. No detents though. The hinge was hidden except for the pivot and would open 180 and more. They were strong & inexpensive so naturally you don't see them much anymore. Now we have lots of pot metal European hinges that aren't inexpensive and which usually require special tools to install.
The knife hinges like those I mentioned are on page 2.14 of this pdf... www.davesanders.com/catalogdownload/sect02.pdf
This site has beaucoup hinges, worth browsing... http://www.hardwaresource.com /
--

dadiOH