Hinges

This isn't really a woodworking question at all, but I'm sure the crowd here will have lots of good suggestions.

I have a scientific equipment case (essentially an aluminum camera case) whose hingest open 180 degrees so that the top lies flat on the table.

I'd prefer that it only opened slightly more than 90 degrees, so the top would stand up. 100 to 110 degrees is OK, so that its own weight will hold it open.

What is the best way to achieve this? Simply add some hinges that don't open much more than 90? Any problem with more than one kind of hinges on the same camera case, as long as the axes are aligned? Any problem with using pop rivets to attach them?

Or should I take a different approach, such as adding a strap of leather (such as one of my briefcases has)?

Should I just take it to a luggage repair shop?

Thanks for your advice and discussion!

Reply to
mc

That's what I would probably do, except with something like this:

How good are you with tools, and how good do you want the finished product to look?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks; I'll look at that.

I don't see a problem with that... I build electronic equipment all the time and have done some woodworking.

Reply to
mc

Ah. There isn't really room for that, as the case already has a fitted foam interior.

Reply to
mc

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 08:53:48a, "mc" wrote in news:VtKdnYbJN snipped-for-privacy@speedfactory.net:

I think a strap or chain will work fine, if it's okay that if the top is nudged forward, it slams shut. Those stays usually give it a little braking power when something pushes the top shut. If you don't want it to ever slam shut, I think you're stuck getting a mechanical stay and modifying the foam.

Also, from experience, I suggest being certain the top won't want to lie flat on the table anyway, pulling the rest of the case along with it.

In a previous life we did this same thing for a friend, and it was fine as long as all the equipment was in the case. As she removed pieces, the balance point shifted, the top went backwards, the bottom went up, and pieces of equipment got catapulted. No harm done, but it was a bit of a surprise. The delicate stuff was already out. She removed the strap before anything broke.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Thanks. I'll check on that.

Reply to
mc

Very common with blow molded guitar and bass cases.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y