hinged pliars

I saw a set of pliars that was carved from a block of basswood. I tried it and can't get the hinge to open. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to carve the hinge? Thanks, Evon
Evon Barvinchack wrote:

the blade to separate the inside from the outside removing as little wood as possible for the cheeks of the cut. For the end grain cuts use as narrow a blade as you can for the cross cut. It helps it you make a dummy joint with the outside in 2 pieces so you can see what the inside looks like. Joe

Tough to beat the price, if the book's available, and several of the puzzles are great items to make. http://www.woodworkerslibrary.com/product.php?productid 819&cat'0&page=1
Other than that, see if you can get the Roy Underhill show where he did some.