I finally got the carcasses built for the bookshelves and now have then hung
in place. I decided after much thought to go with continuous/piano hinges as
they afford much more strength along the entire vertical axis than either
pivots or traditional hinges. Plus, they cost a whole lot less ($10 per
hinge versus $170 per pivot set!), and will appear more asthetic (though not
totally hidden) versus traditional hinges.
I also decided that gluing the 1/4 ply into the dado in the rear of the
units would provide a whole lot of structural stability for preventing
racking. I may add a piece of 1/2" channel iron corner-to-corner in the rear
if it looks like I need more bracing.
Next is the trim - I'm going to try and rabbet the moulding around the hinge
as much as possible to hide it (I'm using 445). I'll also glue and staple
the trim to the top and bottom edges of the units to provide "stops" when
closing. I'll send out more pics as I get that step done.
Boy, this has been fun :-)
I've put several pics out on a.b.p.w for your perusal/critique/bashing :-)
To reply use henry @t henrywebb d0t com
Click to see the full signature.