hinge overlay question

I'm building a cabinet (bookcase with doors) and will be using a frameless cabinet design. I would like to use a full overlay design, such that the door faces will cover (overlap entirely) the cabinet ends (such that from the front only the doors will be visible when closed, and not the cabinet ends).

The Rockler site was helpful in showing what I want in terms of hinges

-- I believe I've settled on the Unimat hinge (frameless overlay), but I am confused by the distinction between the "One-piece concealed hinge available for frameless cabinets with 1/2" overlay or 1/4" overlay."

I'm not sure what the 1/2 or 1/4 overlay dimension refers to -- if it's a full overlay design, it should completely cover the cabinet edges, right?

Can someone please clarify for me? Thank you!

The site URLs are:

general:

?&offerings_id=10872

Reply to
Bob

If it is a 1/2" or 1/4" overlay, the hinge side of the door overlaps the cabinet side by 1/2" or 1/4". If it is a full overlay, the hinge side of thedoor overlaps the entire width of the cabinet side. If it is a 1/2 (not

1/2 inch) overlay, the hinge side of the door overlaps 1/2 the thickness of a cabinet partition. That way, you can hinge doors on both sides of the partition. Of course the overlay allows for a minimum reveal between doors or between doors and wall, so they don't contact each other.

Generally on a full overlay with a 3/4" (19mm) cabinet side, I generally overlay 17mm to allow for a reveal. Of course, for a 5/8" cabinet side, the overlay is less and may require a different hinge/mounting plate combination. For a 1/2 overlay (3/4"/19mm cabinet side), I use an 8mm overlay to allow for 3mm between doors.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas