Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would recommend? thanks JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Pat Barber

Several manufacturers make them. The one I use most is a Milwaukee. It (and I believe most other brands) is adjustable for hinge size and door thickness and height but will only do 3 hinges at a time. There may be a 4 hinge version or you may be able to buy another section (rod and template) since they just thumbscrew together. When I need 4 hinges I just set it up for the top three and then measure and slide the whole thing down for the fourth. If you need the 4 hinge version and can't find one, your dealer might be able to get the proper parts or you could buy 2 sets and combine them. That's assuming your model will easily allow you to add another section. I think most will.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I have the bosch rig and it is very good. the four hinge setup is an accessory package that comes with 1 hinge jig and a set of shorter conecting rods. they are 2 piece rods that make it posible to get nearly any configuration you want. what i usualy do is just screw the four templates to a piece of ceiling grid instead of setting up the rails. its quicker for me because i have to take down and set up fairly often. YMMV. :->

skeez

Reply to
skeez

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and find someplace to take a look at the Bosch, as I like the fact that it is "made" for a 4 hinge set-up. I'll check out the Milwaukee too.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

the Milwaukee is a good jig too. its almost identical to the bosch.

skeez

Reply to
skeez