HIKING STICK

do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

You don't want all the crap on it. A simple wood pole with a leather grip nailed to the top works perfectly fine. Honestly having hiked for years with my walking stick, once I switched to hiking poles I rarely go back. Hiking stick helps take the load off your knees and ankles for sure (plus help you stabilize of course), but only on one side - the poles help both feet. Anyway I don't want to get into a religious war over that, to each his own and there is no right answer. But still if I was going to make one out of hickory, I wouldnt put all that macramea crap all over it - it would get snagged in branches, brush, get torn, frayed, water damaged, salt would build up on it. The leather grip is nice because if it disintergrates over time you simply replace it with another cheap piece of oxhide and used leather shoe laces.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:ZbCdnfIXR4YRllrbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I bought a whistlecreek.com hiking stick made of sassafras at Mohonk Mountain House a fwe years ago. It works wonderfully, and lasts a long time, since I almost always forget tot take it along. But when I use it it is great!

Reply to
Han

If you don't take it you won't get the benefit from it.

My hickory stick has about 500 miles on it, it took 150 miles for that cheap varnish they slapped all over it to wear off enough for the stick to not get slippery as the day goes on. Rough wood, it still has some bark on it, cheap rubber cup on the end for grip. But like I said, when I'm on a multi-day hike I take my poles instead - far more effective when you have a full pack on. For day hikes, I'll use my hiking stick, its less unweildy, and I only need it for stabilization really. I don't wear a pack on day hikes, just a small purse that I picked up from a Swiss military surplus retailer. It holds my lunch, rain gear, and emergency medkit.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Sat, Aug 18, 2007, 9:14am (EDT-3) m44 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eigenvector) doth put out: My hickory stick has about 500 miles on it, it took 150 miles for that cheap varnish they slapped all over it I don't wear a pack on day hikes, just a small purse

The whole point of posting plans is so somone can make their own whatever, if they want to. Or, to give them insiration to make their own versiosns, there's no law I know of that says you can't change most plans at least a little. Or, they can just buy, as it looks like you did. And, a purse? Me, I've got a few old gas mask bags I resewed the straps on so I can carry one over my shoulder, but by no definition is it a purse - the last use for one was to carry two pieces, magazines, ammo, muffs, etc., to the range. You don't do things like that with purses.

JOAT I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do them.

- Picasso

Reply to
J T

Jeez, man, you just don't know the right kind of women.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sat, Aug 18, 2007, 9:36pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Charlie=A0Self) doth sayeth: Jeez, man, you just don't know the right kind of women.

I'd be satisfied if I could just find one willing to bu ammo.