Hiking staffs

I have cut 15 cedar poles for use as hiking staffs for the guys in my Cub Scout den. I want to let them dry for the next year or so and then strip the bark, smooth them down and apply spar varnish. I also plan to apply a brass name plate, stainless tip and a leather strap.
I will present the staffs during their crossover ceremony into the Boy Scouts when they complete the second year Webelos program.
Any thoughts or suggestions on how to completely strip the bark down to the bare wood?
tlc... wrote:

I'd use a draw or push knife:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p1070&cat=1,130,43332
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Better yet, have the kids strip the bark, sand and varnish. Your way, the first thing you'll have after the presentation is a bunch of little Darth Mauls whacking away at each other. Make 'em work for the staffs, and they'll treasure them.
I still have mine (saguaro rib).
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

I completly agree, let them work for it, that is what I did with my scouts, tho we used persimmon. A drw Knife works great but i would leave off the sanding and let a little bark remaine, Looks much better.

Hey now, I don't think it is safe to turn Cub Scouts loose with sharp tools simultaneously. Surely somone will agree? Not even a pocketknife let alone a draw knive, c'mon.

They have to learn sometime.
--
Roger Shoaf
Ah, brings back memories! As an 8 YO playing sandlot football with some 'older guys' the quarterback asked me to run out four steps and turn right for a pass. "I've never done that before" was my response to which he said without hesitation "Then you can't learn any younger!"!

Thanks for the suggestions.
I will make the hiking staffs a project for their "Craftsman" activity pin.
My guys have all earned their "Whittlin Chip" and they are careful with their sharp objects.
I require parental involvement and when we are whittlin they pair off and keep sufficient distance from the next pair.
thanks again. t;c,,,