high school projects?

Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and

12 manufacturing class. We have a budget so pine seems to be the only wood we can afford. I would appreciate any suggestions to keep the students motivated even if they aren't wood related. thanks, Kieran

What sort of tools are you prepared to arm them with? Have enough benchtops and safety glasses to go around?

Perhaps you could show them how to use the Google SketchUp program to design something?

We have a budget so pine seems to be the only

Reply to
Bill

How about more details.

How many students?

Any previous experience?

Maybe you could call me.

I can generally find a couple dollars to help kids. We sell tools and safety glases. Maybe a donation?

Stilts? popguns such as Cabela's sells? Maybe some ideas from Junior Achievement?

I have no idea how schools work. if I suggest something inappropriate please let me know.

Tom Walz Carbide Processors, Inc.

800 346-8274 (toll free)

tomwalz

If you want to do some hand tool projects some small boxes with hand cut dovetails is always fun.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Local cabinet shops may have scrap maple for free, you could make cutting boards.

Reply to
Just Wondering

More information

HI, I have 22 grade 10 and 18 grade 11 students. I have experience in most areas The shop has wood working equipment and a cnc router and 2 metal lathes. I am in Alliston Ontario Canada an hour north of Toronto I may do a pen project on the metal lathe cnc router corel draw do a sports name or student name looking for other ideas the students are 14-16 years old. I will look into getting donations of maple as suggested. thanks, electricity project? not house wiring, pnumatics?, any ideas help.

------------------------------------- I took a basic course at Cerritos college here in SoCal.

It was amazing how much you learned making a push block.

It looked deceptively simple, but wasn't.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Are there any cabinet making shops nearby that may be willing to donate their scraps &/or cutoffs?

Projects I recall from HS woodshop: floor & table/desk lamps (electrical too) chess board skate board water skis blanket chest bread box cutting board spoons salad tongs trivet candle holder bowls table desk desk organizer/tray step stool bird house clocks toys hall/coat tree

Art

Reply to
Artemus

So, how _is_ Doug Stowe, anyway? ;)

Kieran, search Amazon for Doug's books.

's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One thing that Dad built for mom years ago were storage boxes.

Room storage - e.g. put root crops in there as freezing them will cause them to rot. Onions and potatoes and the like.

5 side box - the front has a U cut leaving some on the side and bottom front - but round the edges so the had is ok. Make them stack-able.

They are handy in the shop holding rope, string.....

Simple joinery, edging...

Pine - Varnish or paint.

Coat racks - turned pegs into a board that mounts between studs.

Mart> Hi, I am looking for new and creative ideas to do with a grade 11 and

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

The wood shop teacher at the high school where I taught electronics - lucked out - a food/drink place burned down. It was in heavy oak. Most of it was just smoke or water streaked on the outside. The teacher cleaned up the boards and began to look for his project as well as students. He did a fantastic pool table his last year before retirement. It was well done.

The students learned a lot and helped making parts after a lesson. Lots of wood for better versions if needed...

See if there is a fire in the area - houses or businesses.

Mart> More information

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

k wrote in news:32a56da8-f27f-42d1-9a09- snipped-for-privacy@o26g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

To keep students motivated, I think a problem solving approach is the best method. Present a problem and let them solve it. The trick is finding a project that's easy to build simply but can be taken to reasonable extremes as creativity and motivation allows.

A guitar stand could be a good choice for some students. It can be easy to build, but adding details and other useful parts (like pick storage) can be fun.

Anything the students can race is a fun project. Race cars (CO2 or pinewood derby style), boats, and even air planes or rockets (way cool!) could all be good choices.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Bird house/feeder may allow plenty of creativity? Sounds like you may as well present the students with a list of several choices. It's much more fun to make something you would like to make, especially if there is much sanding involved!

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

I'd avoid the bird house project... just because it's been such a standard for so long. I wouldn't have felt deprived if I didn't build one in high school shop.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

For a variation, how about a bat house?

There's a book, "box by box" that presents a range of small boxes from dead simple to one with a wooden combination lock and another with all cuts compound angles. Has enough information to make them and some guidance on how to go about it but it's not at the "for dummies" level.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I built a bird feeder in high school too. I believe we were given a choice. Maybe there's a reason its a standard? Birds aren't too fussy... For a high school project, time is a firm constraint--so what are ya gonna do?

Reply to
Bill

How about a "pointy stick"? I recall seeing a set of free plans around.

(Where's JOAT when we need him?)

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Something useful to their parents. My shop class it was student chosen but directed by the teacher. I got directed to choose a bookcase and my aged parents finally parted with it some thirty years later. They had good things to say about the school and about the shop teacher.

Good luck on keeping your classes going. Great to hear that there are still classes where things get built!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser
*I've been on vacation, so I'm now catching up on past threads.

I've made projects for donating to various fund raisers in the community, mostly school fund raisers. In some cases, local establishments were happy to donate lumber for the fund raiser projects. As someone said, your local cabinet shops should have some scrap lumber available to you. Here are a few project ideas. They're not as difficult as you may assume and many of the curve details/edges are simply pared down squared edges:

2 projects have some cosmetic defect on them, so they were never donated.... yet.

Sonny
*I've been on vacation, so I'm now catching up on past threads.

I've made projects for donating to various fund raisers in the community, mostly school fund raisers. In some cases, local establishments were happy to donate lumber for the fund raiser projects. As someone said, your local cabinet shops should have some scrap lumber available to you. Here are a few project ideas. They're not as difficult as you may assume and many of the curve details/edges are simply pared down squared edges:

2 projects have some cosmetic defect on them, so they were never donated.... yet.
Some nice crafting on those love seat units. Kudos.

Reply to
Eric