high impact scratch resistant finishes

Hi I'm hoping that some one on this site can helep me with a problem which really involves carbon fibre rather than wood. I'm rebuilding a carbon fibre fishing rod, and have got to the stage of giving it a tough impact resistant finish. I've tried a few conventional types of rod building varnish, but they quIckly scratch when in contact with a wall or whatever. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be really grateful. cheers DW

The principal suggestion that occurs to me is to not be so AR about it. Is this something only to be looked at, or to actually be used? If the former... use whatever finish you like, and put it inside a nice glass case where it won't get bunged up. If the latter... use whatever finish you like: it's a fishing rod, for pete's sake, and the finish is going to get bunged up eventually anyway. Unless you keep it inside a nice glass case and never use it.
--
Regards,

I've always used an epoxy specifically mfg'ed for rod building. I build the odd fly rod and have not had any issues with scratches/cracks/etc.... You will need a small rod turning motor to apply it (more so for the curing actually) to ensure the epoxy stays smooth around the rod. I don't have a brand for ya at the moment but if you have trouble finding an epoxy, let me know and I'll dig mine up. Cheers, cc
Flexcoat epoxy. Use the F1K for high build, or F1KL for lite build (2+ coats). www.anglersworkshop.com (their website sucks, but their paper catalog is fantastic.) Flexcoat makes epoxy finishes (which are flexible and glossy) and rod builder's epoxy glue (which is neither) for assembling cork handles, hypalon grips, reel seats, etc. Don't confuse the two... you want the flexible finish epoxy. After you brush it on, it tends to run and drip slowly, so you will need to make or buy a rod turning motor, or turn it by hand until it sets up.
Bob the Tomato
On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 07:14:01 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"

dwdw1 wrote:

I would think some type of epoxy would be ideal for this purpose. I don't have a specific brand recommendation but certain brands/formulations have more of an emphasis on a particular characteristic such as hardness, resistance to impact, etc. In this case I'd think for a fishing rod you'd want an epoxy with a high modulus of elasticity (so it doesn't crack the first time you land a big one and it bends in half!).
Respectfully feel that some of the harsh criticism you're receiving is a bit uncalled for. Many people would not be able to understand why we build workbenches that are as beautiful as fine furniture; it's possible to be obsessive about the beauty of a tool while still caring about its function as well.
Many thanks for the helpful comments I 've recieved. I expected some 'silly smart arse' responses. With carbon fibre, repeated sharp blows in the same location weaken the integrity of the fibre structure. The scratches and chips are in themselves rather insignificant.although I would like the rod to look pleasing aestheticallty as well as being sound in a utilitarian sense. I shall have a look at the epoxys or rubberised paints. This would help cushion any blows. Agai thanks to those who took the time to give useful advice. cheers DW

Yes. Stop posting questions that go along with what colour should I paint my workbench. Leave the computer. Leave the workshop. Go fishing and think about life and its small pleasures. Bung it up a bit and it will develop character. As my daughter pointed out about her spotless new home, "Yes, but ours is a house, yours is a home." Now with a small child hers has quickly become a home.

Glad to see that the real estate profession has not yet succeeded in eliminating that distinction from our language!