High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Page 5 of 6
Upscale wrote:

I don't see it. It's always going to be more complicated to make a domino-style tool than a biscuit joiner, so it's going to be more expensive. For sheet goods casework the Domino offers little in additional benefits as compared to biscuits.
For solid wood construction with M&T joints I can certainly see the Domino replacing smaller mortising machines and horizontal boring machines.
Chris
wrote in message

I can see the Domino style fastener becoming more mainstream but look at the screw driver and the cordless drill/driver. People still use hand powered screw drivers. SUV's, they will come back just like larger cars have. I seen this happen time and again every time gasoline prices go up.

Possibly. I'm old enough that I too have seen larger cars lose and gain market share repeatedly, but I think it's a little different this time. All the other times there really hasn't been a technology looming on the horizon to replace all those big vehicles during a gas crunch. This time there's a considerable rush to purchase alternatively powered vehicles. The technology didn't exist those other times, it does now, or it's about to become mainstream.
The only way I can see some type of real SUV revival is when so many people go to the other fuel type cars that there's a glut of oil.
wrote in message

IIRC GM and Ford both have Hybrid SUV electric vehicles available for purchase.

I know, but they still have some reliance on oil. Wait and see what happens when better than 25% of personal transport vehicles are chugging along solely on electricity or hydrogen.
wrote in message

Yeah... Do you think that the SUV would not ever be equipped with the same setup? If the SUV is a fad you are probably right but if people want SUV's the natural evolution of the SUV would be to go electric also.
Apparently the Ford motor company has different view:
"Ford F series loses title as top-selling vehicle in May"
The Ford F-150 pickup truck in May was dethroned as Americas favorite vehicle for the first time in a month since 1991 -- by four sedans. According to preliminary sales figures released by automakers, Ford Motor Co. sold 42,973 F-series trucks in May. The Honda Civic and Accord along with the Toyota Corolla and Camry all topped the F series.
"We believe that much of this reduction in full-size truck demand is structural, with many buyers downgrading to smaller vehicles who will likely not come back," Johnson said in a note to investors.
Leon wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Where do I mount the fifth wheel hitch on a Civic, Accord, Corolla or Camray?

Will the F-150 biscuit joiners be on sale now?
Max

Exactly.
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Why would you f**k up good vehicles for a specialty application?
Isn't that why specialty vehicle rental businesses exist?
Lew

No that is why people will continue to buy trucks and SUV's instead of for the status symbol that they think that they are getting. What's funny are those status symbols being left in the driveway, screaming look at my big expensive vehicle that I cannot afford to drive.
GM, Ford, Chrysler had all the data to see this coming. When you have to offer a 7 to 8 year loan so that the customer can afford to buy the vehicle this should be an indicator of things to come if the economy only slows up a little.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Fifth wheel hitches are easily removed and re-installed, so a pickup isn't f'd up at all. I use mine to haul lumber, help folks move, go to da dump, etc. Since it's a diesel, it gets 21mpg highway - 14.5 towing a 6 ton fifth wheel. And supposedly since it burns the low sulfer diesel and biodiesel mixes, it's more environmentally friendly than many gasoline vehicles.

Because renting a diesel truck for all of the above uses isn't my choice - I'd rather own than rent.

Doug Winterburn wrote:

...and besides, I've yet to see diesel trucks with fifth wheel hitches for rent.

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:29:06 -0700, Doug Winterburn

They won't be at the same location as the car rentals, but they can be found.
Ryder, Hertz, and Penske rent them in my area, as does the occasional used truck dealer. Typically, they're based on dualie pickups.
I know a classic race car tuner that rents them to tow his goosenecks to races 8-10 times a year. He owns two goosenecks and two 53' haulers, one pickup and no tractors. On race weekends it all needs to go, so he rents. Of course, the truck will probably be YELLOW, with Scotchlight lettering all over it! <G> He's got these cool, custom race trailers behind a yellow and blue striped rented truck! I used to buy used trucks from a large local Ryder depot, they had everything from beer/soda trucks, to tankers, to cherry pickers, even school busses and sweepers.

Oh, the never ending battle of need and wants. Anyone can argue their position easily by pointing out a particular situation and real need. Then there is reality. Yes some do haul big trailers, yes, some to haul big equipment, but then yes, some do haul a gallon of milk and take Suzy to dance lessons and nothing more.
In many counties major construction projects take place every day and don't use the big trucks like we have. Many families pile into the Smart or Fiat and head off to vacation. Fact is, most of us don't "want" to do that and we're willing to pay for the pleasure.
When I go to Europe, I rent a small car because it is economical ($8 to $10 a gallon now) and the rental cost on a large car is very high and I'm not willing to pay an extra $400 a week. At $4 I'm still driving my V-6 big car, but at some point I may change my mind.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

worked and waited and finally realized my wants/hopes in retirement, I'll be damned if some enviro freaks will tell me I need to abandon the exploring and enjoyment of our country and sit on my not quite yet fat ass.
I use my vehicles in a responsible manner and for the proper purpose - I don't drive the tow vehicle to the grocery store nor do I try to tow the RV with the high mileage underpowered rice burner.
To answer your question, yes I NEED to explore this land before I croak. Before I was capable time wise and financially, I WANTED to do this when I geezed out, so now I am.

Now that's funny. I didn't ask a question and I didn't single you out as the waster of oil with a big car, yet you still saw the need to defend yourself. The battle will never end, real or perceived.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

The way the price of gas is going it may be cheaper to drive the rice burner to the locations you wish to visit and stay in a luxury hotel.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

gasoline. However the geezer rates in the national parks are only about $3/night. Most fancy RV parks go for $20-30/night. Another cost saving is being able to prepare your meals rather than doing the restaurant thing. We like to send a minimum of three days in any location to enjoy the area, so even with travel days running about $100 for fuel, the overall cost isn't bad compared to motels & restaurants with the rice burner.