High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Page 2 of 6

Go for it... Use the magic word... ON SALE
Ladies love a bargain..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The spaceship or the exotic tools? ;~)
Leon wrote:

What is all this talk about erotic tools? My scoutmaster says I should not be here...
hello,
I have a $30 from HF, and of course, it is not perfect and it takes a little bit more time to setup, but I saved $70 on the next cheapest tool.. way enough to get more stuff like a good gouge for my lathe.... my hobby time is not worse the extra money of a 'good' tool...
cyrille
<dan> wrote in message

<dan> wrote in message

What's wrong with the PC biscuit joiner that you want to get another one?

If you feel bad about the money you've spent, won't you feel worse spending more money on another biscuit joiner?
Upscale wrote:

No. I did not have one. But went with the PC instead of the Ryobi.

I just wonder if I'd use it enough to justify the cost. Over the years, my purchases have been worth the extra cost.

On 02 Jun 2008 21:45:36 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

Be in peace, my son..
You say you're a HOBBYIST...
You don't justify costs of a hobby, or no one would ever buy an RV or private plane..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:24:59 -0700, mac davis

Someone gets it... <G>
says...

I think you did well for yourself. The handful of Ryobi powertools I've had the misfortune to use over the years have all been utter and total Crap(tm). I only ever bought one myself, and that was enough of a learning experience to teach me about 'false economy' and to do better next time.
There may be exceptions, but I haven't struck one yet; nor am I likely to :-P
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

I have a Ryobi variable speed drill that I bought mainly as a cheap second drill for countersinking. It does that job just fine. Occasionally the bubble level on the back end comes in handy.
For $50, it's done its duty.
Chris
On 02 Jun 2008 19:54:29 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

Well, it may be overkill, not sure of the difference in ease of use, accuracy, etc. in the 2 tools..
I wasn't sure that I would use biscuits, but wanted to try 'em, so a few years ago I bought the "best" model that Harbor freight had, on sale for 1/2 price.. I think I paid about $30..
I did some playing with it and a couple of small projects and realized a few things..
Biscuits are cool and I'll never use a dowel in a joint again...
never glue the biscuits into one side and then try to assemble the joint.. DAMHIKT
The HF tool was well worth the price and worked well, but I needed a few more features, like and adjustable fence and such..
As I was in the middle of a few months of very anal comparison research, my wife bought me the Sears tool.. (DeWalt in a black case, I think)
It's been very good to me and I like it.. If it has any accuracy problems, I can't tell.. might be own skill level? Have I mentioned that I'm a turner and don't usually do anything with corners or joints? lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
dan wrote:

Years ago I bought the Ryobi. At the time it was around $80.00. After using it a few times with poor results due to the slop in the slot it cut I gave it away and bought the Porter Cable at $190.
You probably saved yourself $100 by getting the better joiner first.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
dan wrote:

Ditto the above which is why I buy Festool etc. I figure if I'm spending the kids inheritance they at least deserve a decent estate sale ;) Well, atleast thats how I deal with my conscience...
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 09:59:48 -0700 (PDT), cruzurr

Sure, but we all have our budgets...
I might WANT to get a Rolls-Royce (okay, not really, but for arguments sake) but may only have the budget for a lexus.
I've definitely checked out the Festools at my local Woodcraft and maybe someday I will upgrade that direction.
In the meantime I have managed to put together the start of what I hope to be fairly decent powe tool collection for my shop.
2 porter cable routers (690 and a 7518 Speedmatic mounted to a cast iron router table extension on my ridgid table saw) A small bosch colt router Delta 10" drill press And a number of other assorted and sundry power tools which I plan to upgrade over time as budget allows.
Right now the mounted speedmatic is the powertool I use most (aside from my cordless drills (Makita and Ryobi litium), and it makes wonderful quick work of dadoes even in oak. Just got a katana cabinet making set of bits and will be seeing how my setup works for panel work.
As I expect to make a number of new bookcases and cabinets for my house in the near future, the biscuit joiner upgrade will probably be my next and from the feedback and what I have experienced with my other Porter-Cable tools, I think I will lean in that direction.
Thanks everyone for your input and feedback... -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com
Excuse me for drifing on-topic!
If you want a plate jointer to make cabinets then I'd recommend you try out pocket screws first (if you haven't already). You can build entire cabinets with pocket screws and they hold better than biscuits will. Plus no clamping. For kitchen cabinets, put pocket screws on the outside of the carcass to attach face frames. No pocket holes are visible after they're installed. Cabinets sides visible at the end of a run can be covered with a panel. That makes scribing the end cabinet to the wall a lot easier too.
I'd also rather use headless pins over biscuits for attaching face frames. A pin driven 35 degrees from the back (side into face) will virtually be invisible. Just up the PSI a bit over what's recommended to countersink the pin. If the hole still bothers you then leave sawdust in it after sanding and you'll never see it.
Biscuits work well for edge joining pieces but I'm finding them less useful than I thought I would.

I actually do have a full Kreg pocket hole jig setup and have used it for some items so far, but have ended up doing more with biscuits...not that I might not change that in the future... -Chef Juke "EVERYbody Eats when they come to MY house!" http://www.chefjuke.com
Wow is that so wrong about never complaining about quality. I have been so disappointed with my Delta purchases. I bought an American made 14" Band saw and it was a POS. No alignment until I took the pins out. I bought a Delta Contractor saw. ... The table is so dished.
I bought a Lie Nielsen low angle block plane, and there is a defect in the blade. At first it looked like a little line.. but as I sharpen it, I can now see the line was a void in the metal. Now I don't even need a magnifier or loupe to see that it is a void.
When you pay more, it upsets you that the quality isn't what it should be.
Chef Juke wrote:

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:46:21 -0400, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I hear ya'!
What did LN say about your blade?

Exactly, as my grandmother says, complaining works! Many manufacturing companies don't want to lose you as a customer, so if you call to complain they'll try to make it right.
Puckdropper