High-end biscuit joiner vs low-end

Page 1 of 6
I'm not a furniture builder, but a weekend hobbyist that does mostly "rough" woodworking. I have a tendency though when I buy tools to buy the best. I just bought a $225 PC biscuit joiner. I've been thinking that maybe the Ryobi $100 biscuit joiner would suit my infrequent needs. I do build some cabinets and in the future I'm thinking about building my kitchen cabinents, but then I'm still not sure I should have gotten the high-end tool. Or maybe I just feel bad for spending that much money? Sigh.

<dan> wrote in message

And here I thought you were going to say the decision was between a $700-800 Festool or a $700-800 Lamello.
Dave in Houston

Let me pass along the advice my Dad left me. "Son, always buy the best, and most expensive, tools you can find. Because if you don't, you'll probably get a bad product and your wife will buy the most expensive jewelry with the money you leave behind."
Dave in Houston wrote:

That's why I said weekend hobbyist. Wow! $700 for a biscuit joiner??

On 02 Jun 2008 20:37:22 GMT, "dan" <> wrote:

I bought a PC biscuit joiner. I didn't like it and sold it a couple years later. For me, the model I had just couldn't keep the fence parallel to the cutter. Beyond that, it was a well made machine.
Besides, I like mortise & tenon and edge gluing sans anything, biscuits or otherwise works out fine for me.
On Jun 2, 3:56 pm, "Dave in Houston" wrote: > > have gotten the high- end tool. Or maybe I just feel bad for spending > > that much money? Sigh. > $700-800 Festool or a $700-800 Lamello. > > Dave in Houston
I bought one from HFT for $30 or so - or maybe it was from one of thse traveling tool sale things.
Its basically a 4.5: grinder with a biscuit tool thing out of plastic. In theory, it does the job. In practice, I find it cuts a wider slot than the Porter Cable biscuits and can take two of the cheap biscuits that came with it. Hence, it does not help with the alignment of the piece as I'd hoped.
Not sure if the blade has too large a kerf or the blade is eccentric and wobbles. I am looking for a replacement blade with a thinner kerf. One of these days I may buy a higher-end machine and try it - but for now (and the past five years or so) I'll make do. (Or doo doo)
"dan" wrote in message

Au contraire ... you did good!
You've already gotten over the biggest hurdle - you will no longer have the frustration of attempting to do even the most mundane of tasks with sub par tools.
Instead, you can now consider the extra bucks as an investment in the future satisfaction of jobs well done ... jobs that will allow you to relax, sit back, have a brew, and contemplate what you accomplished at the end of each with satisfaction.
Congratulations!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

What Swing said.
Plus, you won't ever have to worry if the tool fails as to if you might have screwed yourself "going on the cheap". A machine doesn't look like much of an intelligent buy not matter what the reasoning when it fails early on.
And since they have a tendency to do that when you really need them.... something to consider. My PC biscuit machine has been happily chewing out slots for a few years now, and since I put it back in its blow mold steamer trunk after every session, it still looks and works like new.
Robert

Ah, Swingman I think you get it.
When I did my quality preach, the most prevelant of my soapbox rants, I used to remind my colleagues "we do not make and sell machinery, we make and sell "satisfaction".
Frank
<dan> wrote in message

If it makes you feel better, I bought a PC 556 Plate Joiner in 1989 and replaced it with a much better PC557 Type I as soon as they were available. That model was a vast improvement over anything on the market "in that price range". One year ago I upgraded leaps and bounds to the Festool Domino.
"Leon" wrote >

I must be in that kind of mood today.
And if a spaceship were to land carring some exotic tools requiring batteries from another planet, Leon would buy it!
Cuz, naturally, it is the next evolutionary step up from the Festool.

I'm thinking of attaching a pair of Festool MFK 700 Modular Routers to an ultra-light air craft. Waitasec.. I NEED a pair for my business.

I'm thinking of attaching a pair of Festool MFK 700 Modular Routers to an ultra-light air craft. Waitasec.. I NEED a pair for my business.
I wonder if it would be less expensive to go to Germany, find a job, make some money, buy all the Festools I want, and bring'up back home.
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Waitaminnit! My wife is over there at the moment. Maybe I should .... .... nah, not really. I just bought a 30" monitor for a new toy. Don't want to rock the boat. ;-D
-P.
says...

And of course the voltage would be wrong. ;~(
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Germany - 220V New Zealand - 230V
that would work, although I'd have to change the plug.
-P.
says...

cool Would the cycles be the same?
"Leon" wrote:

Universal motors are bi-sexual, will operate on either AC/DC thus frequency is ignored.
Almost all hand held power tools have universal motors, which means they have a commutator and brushes.
Lew

So they're only legal in California and Massachusetts.
Dave in Houston
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Yes, 50 Hz.
-P.