Hide brad nail holes in molding

I am installing new molding around all my baseboards and doors in a room that we just remodled. I am using a brad nailer and it countersinks the holes nicely in the molding. The molding is standard home depot/lowes mdf molding. For the finishing work of covering the holes what do you recommend to cover the nail / fill the hole? I am looking for something easy to apply that does not make a mess in the process.
Thanks Amy.
Amy L. wrote:

or you can get white.
Dave
David wrote:

Dave
David,
What is the white stick - I am not familar with that.
Amy

Amy L. wrote:

They are sticks of colored wax, available at most any Home Depot or hardware/lumber store. Rub the stick over the hole so it goes in, rub off excess with a paper towel or rag.
You can even use kid's Crayolas if you warm them up a bit so they are softer. I sometimes do that when I want to mix a color except that I mix in a bit of linseed oil so the mix stays soft.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

Because you are using MDF and will probably paint the moldings I recommend DAP Spackling. Very light and easy to apply with your finger and easy to clean up.

Spackle, it's very light, can easily be sanded with your finger, cleans up easily with water

Spackle and paint. Latex-based spackle doesn't shrink.
For natural moldings, nothing beats the appropriately-colored Binney and Smith.

DAP Painter's Putty. Easy to apply, dries quickly, and once painted, you'll never know it was there.
--
Regards,
Second on painter's putty. Quick and simple with no extra finishing work. Put it on your finger, push into the hole, wipe smooth, go to next one. IYP then use flexible putty knife with a paper towel handy to wipe up excess.

Some of the so called "Best" painters I've seen use that glazers putty. It bleeds through every time.

in the last 8 years. The putties and the paintable caulks would bleed through and shrink several months later. The Spackle has not caused any call backs.
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:10:35 -0500, Amy L. wrote:

Someone here mentioned this trick a couple of months ago: Stick bits of masking tape over the molding and nail through them. Apply whatever filler the other fellas tell you to use, then peel off the tape.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

That is a good recommendation if you are going to stain but I find that too time consuming if the surface is to be painted. The tape helps keep the putty out of the porous grain of the wood. Typically if putty gets in the grain surrounding the nail hole the filled in grain stands out like a soar thumb if you apply stain.