Hidden Doors

I have seen a reference in this group to Hidden Doors and have looked at the website of hiddendoors.com
Does anyone know of a similar company in the UK?
Or has anyone made a hidden door from scratch and know the location of detailed plans, free or otherwise.
My search of Google comes up with nothing other than links to hiddendoors.com
Many thanks in advance.
Malcolm Webb
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

Relics in Witney will sell you camouflage bookshelves.
I'm unimpressed by HiddenDoors.com Their doors are all so standardised that they _stand_out_ as much as they're hidden. You might manage this in a modern US McMansion, where it all looks like that anyway, but in an older property - or anywhere in the UK - you need something that's more subtle and more tailored to the location.
Any decent fitted furniture maker should be able to sort something out for you. There's nothing particularly _special_ about a door, just because it's hidden.
(If you're anywhere near Bristol, give me a shout)
--
Smert' spamionam

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

I posted this in this newsgroup in mid-Jan...
[before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the skateboard tracks (vice using casters).

I thought that was what I saw in the picture.
My solution isn't much cheaper. I was looking at center-hung pivot hinges (like the swinging doors to restaurant kitchens), which are $100 to $150/set.
http://www.usbuildersupply.com/Rixson/ch_pivot_sets.htm or http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/subcatalog_prod.cfm?subcat_id !1
Instead of centering the hinge on the "door", I'd move it to the front edge of the cabinet, hiding the hardware behind a 3/4" trim board. With this setup, I could get less than 1/16" gap all around the case. Thanks for the additional info.
FYI, one more link on "invisible hinges" http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?CatY9&OrderID
"Patrick R. Kane" <pat.kane> wrote in message | (Malcolm Webb) wrote: | | [before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows | a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build | http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ] |
I snipped out the rest.
There is a lot more at this site. Thanks for the address. --
PDQ --
I designed and built some hidden doors last year - haven't been able to find them since....
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

Greetings,
Try also searching for "secret door".
Sincerely, Bill Thomas