Hidden door

I am in the process of building a new home and would like to have a room that is hidden by a bookcase or antique buffet. Can anyone suggest a way of doing this with either a hinge system or rollers that cannot be detected? Any help would be appreciated. Jeff
Jeff and Jennifer Cook wrote:

I think this very topic was discussed to death just about one year ago. DAGS.

Yup. If I remember rightly, the most popular preference was a rolling door using skateboard wheels.
Searched google groups for "hidden door" and came up with several hit including the one referenced by Upscale
Upscale wrote:

Sun, Jan 16, 2005, 2:11pm (EST+5) jkj snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (JerryCordell) claims: Searched google groups for "hidden door" and came up with several hit including the one referenced by Upscale
Yeah? Then try the archives, with hidden door, hidden room, or just hidden. http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&lr=&num=30
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
A fat lot of good it'll do you now. We all know you have a hidden room.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:51:04 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
What sort of drill bit should I use for hot lava ? I'm having trouble with the volcano-hollowing project where the brazed-in tungsten carbide tips are melting and falling out of my masonry drills.
OTOH, the monorail is working really well now and the white jumpsuits look great !
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:17:15 +0000, Andy Dingley

They running a James Bond film festival on the telly over there Andy? :-)
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:00:14 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"

I built one a few years back. I used skateboard trucks for the wheels because the floor was a bit bumpy. it worked well. I'll post pictures to ABPW
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:50:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm about to do the same for an alcove that tucks into a staircase and the swinging bookcase is exactly what I was going to do (hide all that luggage).
If you don't mind sharing additional info, what type of hinges did you use? How did you set the trim on the hinged side so that it swung free and clear of the wall?
Thanks, Pat
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:16:18 -0800, Patrick R. Kane <pat.kane> wrote:

I used soss hinges. the big ones are expensive (IIRC about $50 each) but they worked a charm. http://www.soss.com /

the soss hinges throw out quite a bit. I projected the frame of the bookcase a bit from the carcase to cover the joint.

hope it helped.
[before pressing send, I did a Google and found this link, which shows a plan for a pivot bookcase pretty much like I was going to build http://www.garymkatz.com/Charts/pivot-bookcase.htm ]
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of the skateboard tracks (vice using casters).

I thought that was what I saw in the picture.
My solution isn't much cheaper. I was looking at center-hung pivot hinges (like the swinging doors to restaurant kitchens), which are $100 to $150/set.
http://www.usbuildersupply.com/Rixson/ch_pivot_sets.htm or http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/subcatalog_prod.cfm?subcat_id !1
Instead of centering the hinge on the "door", I'd move it to the front edge of the cabinet, hiding the hardware behind a 3/4" trim board. With this setup, I could get less than 1/16" gap all around the case. Thanks for the additional info.
FYI, one more link on "invisible hinges" http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewCatLevel3.asp?CatY9&OrderID