Hi y'all

Page 1 of 2

It's been a little while since I dropped in and I've received a few emails asking if I'm OK. (personally I suspect they may be bottom-feeders hoping there may be an estate sale in the wind...)
I don't have a lot of time to myself this year due to a new job and living away from home all week. Still, I usually try to scan the group once every two weeks or on a weekend.
Today I spent the morning with a guy from another newsgroup who dropped in to see my saw (?) and we had some fun chatting about all sorts of WW issues. After he left the owner of the WW store that I normally haunt^H^H^H^H^H err, visit, dropped over with some items he thought I may be interested in - on spec!
One of them was the hardbound Lon Schleining "The Workbench - A complete guide to creating your perfect bench". I bought it and now am torn between opening it and reading or leaving it till I am away from home for something to do in the evenings <sigh>, it's a tough decision.
I missed jo4hn when he visited Melbourne due to work commitments, something I regret as it would have been great to put a face to the name.
I hope everyone is OK and having a good year (except the trolls of course - I hope they have to repeat a year of school).
cheers,
Groggy
Grog, Send me an email w/good addy, I'll send you a "face" saved from Jo4hn's post to the wRECk rogues gallery. My addy is un-munged.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Hey, you don't wanna scare the poor guy.     jo4hn
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:39:46 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

Won't that guarantee you a spot on the DHS hotlist? ;)
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
spake:

Jo4hn's
DHS?
Every ten years or so, most of us have at least one episode of a big dose of dumbass. Today was mine. Tried going someplace I had no business trying to go, hit a BIG bank of packed snow, bounced part way into a ditch about 8' deep. 1st wrecker got stuck trying to get close enough, 2nd wrecker tried winching it out, but mine kept trying to slide the rest of the way into the ditch. 3rd wrecker finally enough cable & smarts to tie off a snatch block to a tree across the road and pull it out sideways so it didn't slide/roll into the ditch. Total cost so far . . $195.00, plus I apparently have a broken front brake line, so have to find it and fix it.
Now do you know why I ask what DHS is?
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

< Snip of a sad tale of misfortune and woe...>

I think Larry was referring to the Department of Homeland Security. Unless he has another acronym for it, reflecting his Libertarian bent.
Not that there is anything wrong with Libertarians. I mean, I go there all the time for the books.
Patriarch
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:35:07 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

Department of Homeland Security.

Were you thinking dumbass honky sh*thaid? Condolences on your stunt. The last one I can remember was building two matching wooden hinge blocks for the carving bench. They were supposed to be reverse parts, not identical. Luckily, my little stunt cost considerably less to fix.
P.S: I'll bet that was some ride you took.
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
<snipperoo>

of
the
block
slide/roll
You hit the words right on the head! Remember Bill Cosby's story about the clean underwear? First you say it , then you do it? Almost but not quite.
Last time I had a ride like that was the Tilt-a-whirl at the fair.(LOL)
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:05:52 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

So, what'd the brake line cost you?
-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
spake:

the
Verdict's not in on that yet. Got it to SIL's garage today, got it thawed out a little, found problem & got it apart, but I had gotten the wrong size steel line. Will get right size tomorrow & be back on the road tomorrow night. I originally thought it was probably the hose to one of the front calipers, but it was the crossover line from the left side over to the right side. Basically, it's going to cost me a quart of brake fluid & the steel line.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:52:10 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

And $195 in towing plus a helluva lot of blood loss to the face, eh?
BTDT, luckily nobody had a camera. I slid my Javelin into a bank of iceplant at about 50mph showing a friend how fast I could take the curvy road by my house once. The friendly pine tree had saved up all the moisture in the air and deposited it under its branches just prior to the turn that got away from me. It turned my white car green and put about 5 lbs of iceplant in the wheel covers, but that's it. The guy in the back seat was amazed at how I could toss him from side to side as I made the curves up to that point. That thing stuck to the road tight as a farmer superglued to his chicken! And I've always been thankful that was iceplant instead of concrete block, lemme tell ya.
--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------

It takes either a confident man, or one who dongiveadamn to admit he owned a Javelin...;-)
Patriarch, who doesn't want to discuss Pintos...
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:29:04 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch

Hey, that was a Mark Donahue Special, not just an AMC. After I rebuilt the 390, it was putting out over 400 horses @ 425 ft/lbs of torque. The Borg Warner T-10 close-ratio gearbox was bulletproof and the 4:10 rear nut would wrap the rear leaves around itself getting all that HP to the ground. It was by far the fastest, best handling, most fun car I've ever owned or ridden in, period. And you can quote me on that. ;)

Ya wuss.
Me, either. I had to buy one after my back injury. I couldn't wrestle (manhandle) the manual steering on the Scout and needed something simple and cheap to get to and from Coleman College where I was retraining for a new career. No more tossin' trannies or diffs around the yard for me. Luckily, I'm back to 85%+ strength today (but I still don't toss trannies around any more.)
--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------

I always thought Javelins was pretty cool lookin'
No idea how they drove.

They were considered, to paraphrase Mr. Dingley, to be the automotive creations of the Blind Fugly Brothers, in the days of my youth.
But what did I know? I thought the Avanti was kinda unique.
One thing for certain: It takes all kinds, to make the world go around. Thank goodness for niche markets.
Patriarch
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:33:58 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita

Javelin and AMX were AMC's versions of the Corvette, with the AMX being the shorter, sportier, ballsier little guy. They drove very well. I've driven quite a number of big-block weighted vehicles and the Javelin was the only one which didn't feel like it had that big chunk of iron up there.
--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------

quite.
fair.(LOL)
size
right
SIL took some pics for "blackmail". Soon as he gets them downloaded I'll post them.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:21:37 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

Bueno, Bwana.
--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------
spake:

steel
I'm safe! When SIL took "blackmail" pics, he didn't realize there was no film in the camera!!!!!
The tally so far is $195 for towing, $100(50 ea. to SIL & his friend the fire-chief who was there helping, so they could take their wives out to dinner), about $15 for brake parts, and another $200 for the deductible against the slightly over $1K estimate.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:20:00 -0500, the inscrutable "Norman D. Crow"

That's good.

Huh? Did you turn in an estimate and are fixing it out of monies paid, less the deductible? I don't grok your math otherwise.
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development